News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mini Blue aka Sea Urchin aka Industrial Soldering Robot Time

Started by pickdropper, August 31, 2012, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I've built the Cave Dweller and really dig it for what it is, but I sometimes want the additional filtering like in the Sea Urchin circuit.  I like that delay in the 1590A, so I did an SMT layout of the Sea Urchin.  These boards were populated by hand, but I may give a reflow oven a go at some point; I just need to get some paste.  If I really decide to do it right, I would get a stencil for that, but I will likely be too cheap for that.

There was a goof on the backside of the board: the regulator pinout was wrong, but a few traces cut, a few jumper wires and I was on my way.  There was also a silk screen error that you'll see in one of the pics, but that wasn't too big of a deal.

Here are a few pics of the populated board:

Here's a couple of microscope shots of the board, just for the hell of it:

Here is the boxed pedal.  Polishing it was a PITA, but I am happy with the results.  It looks nice as long as you NEVER EVER TOUCH IT.  :-)

And here are the gut shots:

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

LaceSensor

mgwhit

My wife just looked at this (and a few other of your builds) and said to me, "Well, it gives you something to aspire to."  Amazing job.

midwayfair

:o

This just looks ridiculously professional. I'm always impressed by SMD done by hand.

How much smaller than 1/8W resistors are the SMD resistors?

raulduke

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on August 31, 2012, 01:22:26 PM
:o

This just looks ridiculously professional. I'm always impressed by SMD done by hand.

How much smaller than 1/8W resistors are the SMD resistors?

They are quite a bit smaller, but still manageable.  For this build, I used 0603 resistors and 0805 caps.  I've done 0402 by hand before, but it is a bit more of a pain.  It can also make troubleshooting more difficult because they often don't have values marked (like the caps don't).  0201 is VERY VERY small and I wouldn't bother on a hand-soldered board (even some pick and place machines don't like 0201).
Function f(x)

pickdropper

And thanks for the kind words, everybody.  I appreciate the feedback.
Function f(x)

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

aflynt

Haberdasher

holy cow that is fantastic!  super neat job too.

i wish there were more smt projects.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

snz728

night-B

mjcyates

TheCobbenator