Mini Blue aka Sea Urchin aka Industrial Soldering Robot Time

Started by pickdropper, August 31, 2012, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

lincolnic

disconnector

Hey PickDropper - any chance you could give us a copy of the artwork or maybe even the Eagle files?  Do you think that Press-N-Peel could handle the traces?  I'd really like a good SMD project to get my feet wet - I really want a SMD Cave Dweller but I'm not quite (yet) up to drawing stuff for SMD.

Thanks for the AWESOME and inspiring work brother!

slimtriggers

:o  That's amazing!   Incredibly professional looking job!

pickdropper

Quote from: disconnector on September 01, 2012, 05:50:02 AM
Hey PickDropper - any chance you could give us a copy of the artwork or maybe even the Eagle files?  Do you think that Press-N-Peel could handle the traces?  I'd really like a good SMD project to get my feet wet - I really want a SMD Cave Dweller but I'm not quite (yet) up to drawing stuff for SMD.

Thanks for the AWESOME and inspiring work brother!

Hey Disconnector,

I don't think you can actually etch this one because it has components on both side of the board and, because it's SMT, it needs vias to get there.  I know some have etched both sides, but the tolerances to this likely make it very difficult.

If there is interest, I could do another small run of these so that folks could try their hand at SMT.  I still have a few boards from this run, but they require 3 cuts and 3 jumpers because the regulator pinout is incorrect (that's what I get for changing regulator package at the last minute).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

disconnector

Depending on priced definitely be up for at least 2. A stereo Sea Urchin anyone?

disconnector

I'd actually love a mini sized SMD Cave Dweller as well. Get two cascading delays into a 1590?  Woot!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Very cool! Such neat work on the chips, those are a PITA I'd say.
I'd be interested in one of these boards. Where do you source these from? That would probably be the harder part for me.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

ncdb07

ncdb07
Daniel

wolfingsworth

I can't even fathom how you did that by hand. Fantastic work! I just had to re-solder a resistor on that style board (from a toyota tacoma) and I felt like such a brute with my big iron ans clumsy hands. Major props for doing the whole thing. Also, I love the graphics!

culturejam

First of all, that's just bad-ass. It's so well done that I'm angry (in a good way). You da man.

Second, I'm double mad you beat me to using a SMD 2399. I have a couple and was just about to break one out in my next layout. Nice scoop!  ;D

All I can really do here is just a dramatic slow cap.  :D

Serious question now: Are the electros on the bottom, or did you just get by with high-value ceramics? I've got some 10uf non-polarized ceramics that are just boss.

Quote from: pickdropper on August 31, 2012, 01:29:04 PM
For this build, I used 0603 resistors and 0805 caps.  

I'm a wimp. I like 1206. They are quite manageable. But also not as space-saving as 0805, and not nearly as common. Tayda sells 0805 resistors and caps, which is handy. I may have to scale down if I ever run out of the 5k 1206 caps/resistors I have.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on September 02, 2012, 03:52:56 AM
First of all, that's just bad-ass. It's so well done that I'm angry (in a good way). You da man.

Second, I'm double mad you beat me to using a SMD 2399. I have a couple and was just about to break one out in my next layout. Nice scoop!  ;D

All I can really do here is just a dramatic slow cap.  :D

Serious question now: Are the electros on the bottom, or did you just get by with high-value ceramics? I've got some 10uf non-polarized ceramics that are just boss.

Quote from: pickdropper on August 31, 2012, 01:29:04 PM
For this build, I used 0603 resistors and 0805 caps.  

I'm a wimp. I like 1206. They are quite manageable. But also not as space-saving as 0805, and not nearly as common. Tayda sells 0805 resistors and caps, which is handy. I may have to scale down if I ever run out of the 5k 1206 caps/resistors I have.

There are three, larger value tantalums (100uF and 47uF) on the back, along with a diode and the regulator (and a few 0603 resistors as well).  I did use a 47uF 1206 ceramic cap on the front side.  Going down smaller than 1

1206 are indeed very manageable, but they do come with space compromises.  0805 shrinks things down considerably, 0603 a bit more so, but obviously not as drastic.

It's too bad Tayda doesn't carry 0603 resistors, their pricing is great on the 0805s.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

Can't really add anything to whats already been said...
uber job man 8)

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk