News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tremahalo - CJ's Shoot the Moon Trem

Started by eldanko, September 05, 2012, 09:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

Bought CultureJam's Shoot the Moon trem board on a whim, and I'm glad I did.  This thing is easily the most silent DIY trem I've ever played.  Great sweep on the shape knob.  If anyone else is building this, be warned that there is a LOT of gain on tap!  It pretty much begins at unity gain and then boosts from there on out.  Midwayfair advised using a lower value pot if this bothers you!

The artwork: I wanted something to commemorate my wife and I's 5 year anniversary trip to Hawaii this summer.  "Mahalo" = Hawaiian for "thank you" and the turtle artwork is actually the logo from the Maui Brewing Company, which I thoroughly recommend after a hard day of surfing  ;D

I built this pedal to follow the same style and color scheme as my (much) earlier Honey Bee clone, the Tone Shark.  Looking at the two side by side, I'm pleased to see that my work is continually getting cleaner... or I'm just imagining that because I want it to be true!

Another Cusack clickless board in this one.  I tried to use one of the new Molten Voltage bypass boards from SmallBear, and it stopped relaying after 15 or 20 cycles... not too happy with that one at the moment.  Cusack wins this round of the clickless battle... and is a considerably smaller board as well.

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

midwayfair

This is gorgeous. You always have some of the best graphics around.

jkokura

The clean, clear look is my favourite. I prefer it over crazy images on my own stuff as well. I really admire guys who can go all out with some fantastic graphics, but that clean, simple look is still my favourite.

Great work.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

eldanko

Yeah... I don't know if I have a favorite... I just like trying a little bit of everything  ;D

fish22

the graphics on that are so stellar!
I'm inspired to try waterslide again after seing this. (i assume thats the method here)
Great work.

Edit: also, where can the clickless boards be found????
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

eldanko

Right here, sir!  http://cusackmusic.com/wp/?page_id=22

I got to hang out with Cusack and Tony, one of his employees, at NAMM this year.  They're great fellas and the bypass boards are great.  I used to use Jack Deville's bypass boards too, but they're currently unavailable.

eldanko

Also... a slightly cheaper option that I intend to try soon has been created by our own gtr2... anyone used this yet?

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5854.0

jimmybjj

Nice build.

Quote from: eldanko on September 05, 2012, 10:30:31 AM
Also... a slightly cheaper option that I intend to try soon has been created by our own gtr2... anyone used this yet?

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5854.0

Voodoo thinks enough of that type of system to use them in there commercial products. I'll place my order for Josh's(gtr2) system on payday :)
Pcbs no longer available

eldanko

I'm planning on doing the same as soon as I run out of the clickless boards, just to compare.  I'll try to post a comparison video when the time comes, unless someone has already done so!

culturejam

Nice work!

When I breadboarded the original, I didn't notice a huge gain spike on that output amp. I just went with the value that was on the Tremulus Lune schematic.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gtr2

Great build Dane!!!

FYI, the optical bypass boards I sell are not clickless.  They just use a DPDT which is quieter.  Still makes a "click"  :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

eldanko

Of course - good clarification.  I'm less concerned about the physical click noise, and more curious which switching solution is quietest signal-wise.  The pop in a 3PDT seems almost totally unavoidable, which is why I ventured into these other workarounds in the first place.  Can't wait to give yours a whirl!

raulduke

pickdropper

Really like those graphics.  Clean and well thought out.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bret608

I love when the artwork has a place reference like this...sweet! We went to the Big Island and loved it. I'm still planning a build with Thai or Lao writing to commemorate time spent in those places.

I may have to ask you how you get the words on knob labels to kind of wrap around like that. Where in Illustrator might that function reside?