News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suppliers for UK Builders

Started by andywragg, May 08, 2010, 03:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andywragg

OK,

I'm new to pedals, but I've been messing with electronic gadgets for a while.

I'm in the process of building a Burst and Black Neutrino pedal and here's where I got my stuff.

Farnell - all the PCB mounted components, including the pots

Maplin - the Enclosure and the 1/4" jacks, LED holder, Pot knobs

Faith healer - Ebay Shop - 9v socket and switch.

The minimum qunatities from Farnell might seem high but it pays to buy them like this, as you end up with enough bits for loads of projects.

Hope this helps other DIY Pedal Newbs in the UK.

Andy

scdesigns

I know they're not uk based but http://www.banzaimusic.com/home.php are excellent aswell for parts a bits n bobs.

pandadandan

If you don't mind the wait, you can't beat Futurlec for prices.

www.futurlec.com

I often get WIMA caps from there as well as 95% of the transistors and ICs I need.

Haberdasher

Quote from: pandadandan on May 09, 2010, 09:16:04 PM

www.futurlec.com

I often get WIMA caps from there as well as 95% of the transistors and ICs I need.

I hope I'm not thread-jacking since UK folks might like to know this as well...

Have you used the pots from futurlec, and if so what are your thoughts on them?  They are very cheap (cost-wise) but they don't look quite like the alpha pots I get from other suppliers.  Any good?

Thanks
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pandadandan

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 10, 2010, 06:25:19 AM

www.futurlec.com

Have you used the pots from futurlec, and if so what are your thoughts on them?  They are very cheap (cost-wise) but they don't look quite like the alpha pots I get from other suppliers.  Any good?

Thanks

The pots are proper Alpha ones, but they have pins instead of solder lugs.  If you use them, I recommend getting some heatshrink tubing, then soldering  and shrinking to make a really solid, secure joint.  If you tin the wire and the pins before soldering, you can pretty much just push them together and apply heat.

Haberdasher

Quote from: pandadandan on May 10, 2010, 06:51:04 AM

www.futurlec.com

Thanks

The pots are proper Alpha ones, but they have pins instead of solder lugs.  If you use them, I recommend getting some heatshrink tubing, then soldering  and shrinking to make a really solid, secure joint.  If you tin the wire and the pins before soldering, you can pretty much just push them together and apply heat.
Thank you, that's very useful to know. 8)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

andywragg

The pots I have are these;

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1760791

I havent used them yet as I havent received my board order yet (hint hint Brian)  ;)

The 100K an 10K pots are the same brand. Although the 10K pots have a shorter plain shaft, whereas the others are splined and a bit longer. Makes pushing on the knobs a bit more difficult not having the splines there.

Most of the stuff I've had from Farnell before has been very good.

scdesigns

Think i'll  be using futurelec for pots from now on, thats some good prices and im used to the pcb mounting ones now. $4 shipping? Sound.

Haberdasher

www.futurlec.com

Thanks

Pandadandan

I forgot to ask you, but are these pots 16mm?

thanks

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

pandadandan

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 16, 2010, 05:51:22 AM

www.futurlec.com

Thanks

Pandadandan

I forgot to ask you, but are these pots 16mm?

thanks

Aye 16mm.  Exactly the same as the normal solder tab ones, save for just having the pointy pcb terminals.

JohnnyG

cleanclang

www.futurlec.com

Thanks

Does Futurlec still offer the pot value packs? I can't find them on the site. A link would me much appreciated!  ;D ;D ;D ;D