News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard Buffer

Started by pryde, September 09, 2012, 08:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

As many know, the Boneyard can suffer from from oscillation and whine/howling in high gain mode. A number of mods have been suggested on various threads to manage this but many still have issues. After doing the "low gain" mod changing R5/C5 to 100R/1uf and changing the high gain pot to 500k the issue was better but I still was able to produce the issue with certain guitars and higher volumes.

So, several others found that placing a buffer in front of the pedal pretty much cured the oscillation for good. Obviously, one could just run a buffered pedal in front of the BY and call it a day. I and some others wanted the BY to work great independent of other pedals so a buffer was added between the 3PDT switch and the pcb input. mgwhit and some others have build reports using a jfet buffer with good results. I chose a Klon buffer for mine and it works flawless with no loss of BY goodness. So just FYI, here is the simple Klon I used on vero.

I think if you are going to build a BY or suffer from BY whining, it is very much worthwhile to add in this little buffer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jalmonsalmon

This is exactly what I am looking for!
Does the buffer turn off when you turn off the boneyard? and can you kind of give me a how to as to the wiring of the daughter board?

:D
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

pryde

Yes the buffer will be off when the effect is bypassed. Just wire the daughter board between your 3PDT switch and the pcb input.

Look at the 3pdt switch on the left in the picture. From the middle/center lug you will run a wire to the input of the buffer board. Then another wire from the output of the buffer board to the input of the pcb. THen just run power to it and ground it. Everything else is wired as normal.

If you have trouble just post in the tech help area and it will surely bee resolved  :)

jalmonsalmon

I see how it now!  It all makes sense!  Thank you :D

I am going to get that boneyard finished later this weekend with the buffer!
I am tired of running a badmonkey in front of it or my Kingslayer and want the boneyard as just a grab n go single KRANG pedal for those gigs where I have to run thru a plain jane Fender amp  LOL
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

BobL

One question. Does this circuit still keep it's touch sensitivity with a buffer in front of it?
I'm waiting for the single channel version and are guessing Brian might implement this mod to the circuit as in "improved"?

juansolo

It does.

Have to admit I used a jfet buffer on mine rather than the Klon one. No reason other than it's even smaller ;)

Will still build the new all inclusive one when Bean gets the new boards out though. Just for neatness (it came apart a lot trying to de-squeal it).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk