Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solder!!! Opinions, reviews, love, hate

Started by sgmezei, September 11, 2012, 04:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

I am in need of a new roll. Spent about $35us on my last roll at mouser of:
1lb MG chemicals 60/40, 0.032", 22 gauge, 2.2%flux

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MG-Chemicals/4895-454G/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduj3%2fLI2Oovzl9gIERJeJQH2ZVJRQIbUqTc%3d

So, recommendations for the new stuff?

From searching, I got Brians recommendation of Kester is 63/37/.031 from another thread.

pickdropper

I also like Kester 63/37 although I use the thinner 0.020 type since I do some work with smaller parts.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Haberdasher

I use 0.032 63/37 too but it's Chinese.  Comes in 1Kg rolls.  Love it.
I've had my roll for about 2 years and it's only around half used.  The place that sells it claims it's half the price of Kester but I haven't price-checked.

http://www.mtechnologies.com/tools/#econs
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

nzCdog

63:37 or 'Eutectic' solder is great to work with... lower melt temperature and no 'plastic' stage, so it means less chance of poor joins if the component moves during setting. 

60:40 is still ok and, it's usually cheaper.
R type or low residue flux are great, so long as your boards and components are clean.  RMA or RA have more aggressive fluxes for stripping oxides but should be properly removed from the board to prevent corrosion. (I see on the data sheet for that MG Chemicals solder they say it's 'optional' clean)

My favourite sizes for through hole pcbs are 0.6-0.8mm, or 1.0mm for bigger joins like turrets.
I have a roll of ROHS lead free... its not as nice to work with, so doesn't get used much. :/

nzCdog

Quote from: Haberdasher on September 11, 2012, 04:32:09 AM
I use 0.032 63/37 too but it's Chinese.  Comes in 1Kg rolls.  Love it.
I've had my roll for about 2 years and it's only around half used.  The place that sells it claims it's half the price of Kester but I haven't price-checked.

Wow that's cheap! With Hab's good review I'd say it looks pretty tempting

Haberdasher

Quote from: nzCdog on September 11, 2012, 04:52:15 AM
Quote from: Haberdasher on September 11, 2012, 04:32:09 AM
I use 0.032 63/37 too but it's Chinese.  Comes in 1Kg rolls.  Love it.
I've had my roll for about 2 years and it's only around half used.  The place that sells it claims it's half the price of Kester but I haven't price-checked.

Wow that's cheap! With Hab's good review I'd say it looks pretty tempting
Yeah, it seems to be pretty good.  To be truthful it's the only roll of solder I've ever had if you can believe that.  I bought it when I was an abject n00b so I've never had the opportunity to a/b it against kester.  I have an easy time using it though, and I like it.  I will buy it again for sure.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

sgmezei

That solder does look mighty tempting. My only worry is placing an order with a new vendor, and shipping fees, and possible border fees. The price in the end might not be worth it.

What should I look for in regards to flux, R type?, and low residue?
There are these descriptors on Mouser:
- No clean wire solder
- Mildly Activated Rosin Wire Solder
- Activated Rosin Wire Solder
- ect?

nzCdog

Fluxes should be categorised like this:

R - Rosin type
RMA- Rosin mildly activated
RA- Rosin activated
RSA - Rosin Super Activated

Activators are chemical additives which when heated improve the flux's deoxidising properties, but need to be cleaned off after soldering (asap really cause its a much easier clean when it's fresh) to prevent corrosion/degradation/build-up-of-gunk-shorts on the pcb.

Low Residue/No clean is a flux type that is designed to be left on the pcb with no cleaning required. Kinda murky area really with different interpretations of it, but these were introduced to speed up mass manufacturing by eliminating the clean process... Cleaning is always a good idea IMO

timbo_93631

I have had a one pound roll of Kester 44 Rosin 63/37 .031" on my bench for about two years and I am just now nearing the end of the roll.  I build about 4-5 pedals a month on average and have build 3 amps plus done a bunch of repairs and guitar work in that time.  Good stuff!  Thinking about going to a smaller diameter on the next roll.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

alanp

My favourite kind of solder is the stuff that hardly ever makes cold joints, and which I never, ever have to actually clean. (So far, Dick Smith 60/40 1.0mm Super Solder foots the bill. Unfortunately, DSE don't sell it anymore.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

sgmezei

Keep it coming! Thanks guys.

Radio Shack stuff is EXPENSIVE around these parts.

Might order a replacement of my original stuff and some Kester....I want to learn more about which rosin to watch out for.

jimmybjj

kester "44" 63/37 .020 MUCH better than the stuff i was using before.
Pcbs no longer available

pryde

Quote from: gtr2 on September 12, 2012, 12:36:39 AM
I just use old rat shack 60/40 .031"  :-[

Word. Me too. I didn't know there was a lot of difference as long as its rosin core? Never really had any problems with it although it is a bit pricy