News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mucking around with a JFET boost design

Started by culturejam, June 30, 2021, 08:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

This is the first build of an idea I've had for a while. Still have a couple issues to correct, but overall I'm happy with it.

Simple JFET boost concept with an input cap switch. But also has a "drive" switch that toggles in a set of clipping diodes and a master volume control. The boost alone is pretty clean up to a certain point and then gets a bit dirty. The clippers obviously give it a bit more of an overdrive sound, so it can sort of pull double duty on a small board.

Got the box from Smallbear as a closeout color on the cheap. Laser etched the graphics with a NEJE Master 2 (5.5-watt diode laser), which is definitely the best of the cheapo diode lasers I've tried over the past 3-4 years. Combined with Lightburn software, this thing is quite passable as a pedal art platform. Two passes a medium-slow speed and 80% power gets down to bare metal (took about 30 minutes for this pedal, more if you have more complex art). Good for personal stuff, but not really fast enough for commercial opps.

Might end up as an Function f(x) product, idk.  ;D

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

matmosphere

Love the way the laser etch looks. Sounds like a nice little circuit.

jimilee

Oh wow, that's pretty sharp. Das Boost....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sjaustin

Cool, sounds like a fun circuit. Now you got me rabbit holing after a diode laser.   ::)

culturejam

Quote from: sjaustin on July 01, 2021, 11:41:56 AM
Now you got me rabbit holing after a diode laser.   ::)

There is a lot of garbage out there. Make sure whatever you select will work with Lightburn. It does cost money, but isn't much and totally worth it. And also there is a free trial (30 days) so you can actually test it out first.

jjjimi84

That looks great, any chance of some sound clips?

gordo

CJ, that looks very cool.  As I spend more time appreciating an amp as opposed to trying too hard to "effect" it I've become a big fan of boosters of all ilk.

To your comments about the laser, I finally bit the bullet and got a NEJE Master2 Mini to get into the game, only to realize that it can't run Lightburn.  Achilles heel unfortunately.  And it really is a cool little laser that is hampered by the lack of software.  That said, for the money it's pretty hard to beat and if you can deal with the NEJE native software it does an excellent job.

I stepped up to the Master 2s Max, which is a bit of over compensation but a very nice rig. I'd recommend for anyone wanting to get CJ's quality to go with a Master 2s plus or the 2s plus with the dual lasers.  The cost of the Lightburn software is (if memory serves) $40 and is one of the best tool investments I've made.  Superbly written software on the cheap.  I don't have the Max dialed in yet but feel comfortable that it will serve me well.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

Quote from: gordo on July 02, 2021, 06:56:13 PM
To your comments about the laser, I finally bit the bullet and got a NEJE Master2 Mini to get into the game, only to realize that it can't run Lightburn.  Achilles heel unfortunately.  And it really is a cool little laser that is hampered by the lack of software.  That said, for the money it's pretty hard to beat and if you can deal with the NEJE native software it does an excellent job.

The NEJE software is by no means terrible. It's quite serviceable. But as you and I both know, Lightburn is on another level. The path optimization time savings is worth it alone, never mind the vector graphics capabilities. It's also a lot easier, at least for me, to set/test alignment. I still screw up sometimes, but my success ratio is higher than with any other software.