News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Repaired Line 6 Echo Park

Started by culturejam, September 15, 2012, 01:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

I got this pedal for free from one of the mods at TGP (Scott A), because the mode selector pot was acting oddly. It worked, but sooner or later it would switch back to the Reverse Delay mode. So the pedal was useless for recording or playing out, as it would randomly switch modes.

I pulled the module apart to see if maybe I could fix it. I thought the mode pot might be a rotary encoder, but it turns out it is actually a 9mm B47K 11-detent potentiometer.  Line 6 doesn't directly sell replacement parts, and many of their dealers will only sell you the part if they get to do the repair work. Nonsense!

So I sat on this thing for months while I was looking for a replacement part. I couldn't find anything like it on Alpha's product pages, and none of the big boy suppliers had what I needed. So I tested a regular 50K pot, thinking that it should work but wouldn't "stop" on the modes exactly. Turns out it worked just fine. See my hilarious test shot:

I was just about to settle for a regular 50K pot, when I noticed that Smallbear started carrying 9mm 11-detent pots.  :D  They don't have 47K, but they do have 50, and I already knew 50K would work to access all the modes. So I got one (came in the mail today). The only difference is that the Smallbear pots are smooth shaft, and the OEM part is d-shaft. So I subbed in the closes knob I could find. Now it works perfect.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

sprayfe

Nice repair!  The echo park is one of my favorite pedals- I usually have at least 2 on the board!

nzCdog

eldanko

Was just looking at your post on TGP... this is absolutely lovely  ;D
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

neiloler

I'm jealous, I need another Echo Park. It's a great delay pedal!
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

culturejam

Thanks guys!

The Echo Park is indeed a great pedal. And I find lately I really like the "dynamic" mode, which is something I previously didn't see a use for.

I also like that modulation can be controlled in all the modes.

icecycle66

Cool man.
You just saved a great pedal.

roseblood11

cajone5

Awesome -- while debugging and repairing is a PITA it is sure rewarding when you get it right

culturejam

Quote from: roseblood11 on June 25, 2017, 11:39:02 AM
How did you open the module?

Going on my memory from 5 years ago when I posted this, the module has a set of screws that holds the top and bottom plastic enclosure together. Or maybe it's a force-fit plastic tab/slot setup. I can't remember.

diablochris6

Very cool. I have one of these. Built like a tank! Too bad the knobs aren't though.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jacobsteel

The Line 6 Echo Park is a truly great pedal, I haven't heard tape emulation in crazy feedback with pitch-changing via the time-knob that well done in any other (tried a few...).

Excellent to see repair tips. Very encouraging!  :) Thank you!  :)
Mine died last night but I got it back through changing the larger capacitors one by one (only had to change 4-5). Probably one of the 1000uF failed intermittently. 

Mine had the malfunction of being silent but with the green light working (tap change and all). After the capacitor changes it sounds great again.