News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

WTF (doombutter with extra mods)

Started by bigrigg, September 19, 2012, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigrigg

WTF.  Pretty much sums it up!  Madbean doombutter with some fantastic and highly functional mods.

Left switch is the standard "fuzz lift" mod.  Gives you a very light OD sound or fairly high gain fuzz.

Center swtich is the Feedback on/off.  When on it activates the FDBK knob.  Giving you....
Delay repeats!  No more one repeat only.  You can get 8 to 10 audible repeats and they slowly trail off for a very natural decay/reverb effect.  The knob is very functional.  All the way CCW for trailing repeats like a classic delay.  Slowly turning CW and it begins to enter the FDBK realm but completely controllable without oscillation.  Past 1 o'clock and it gives you the noise "wash" where you can play over the last line and it will slowly take over and begin to "swash" until you play the next line and so on.  Of course fully CW and you get into nutty oscillation fun.

The right switch toggles between the inner (standard) LDR and the exterior I placed to the right of the foot switch.  This is awesome fun. With your foot, you can totally control the tracking, warble, pitch shift effect AND with the feedback combo you can change each repeat differently.  It adds so much more to the pedal's ability and it's completely musical and controlled. (in a WTF kind of way)
Turn the blend knob for total wet signal and then use the LDR/FDBK combo for some completely unique sounds and effects.
I remember people asking "how to get more repeats?" from this guy.  This mod does it very well.
Thanks to Madbean as always and enjoy!

midwayfair

holy #!%!@#, this is aces. Also: pink sparkle.

Boldness.

pickdropper

Great mods, man.  I love the external LDR.  I'm going to have to use that sometime.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

Nice! How do you wire up that feedback mod? Are you just connecting the output back to the input through the switch and pot, or is it more clever than that?

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Guybrush

Quote from: lincolnic on September 19, 2012, 08:33:01 PM
Nice! How do you wire up that feedback mod? Are you just connecting the output back to the input through the switch and pot, or is it more clever than that?

+1 on this question!

raulduke

That there is one damn fine build sir!

Everyone knows real men wear pink  ;)...

pryde

Awesome build. Would love to know how to get more repeats. Out with the details!  ;D

rollo greb

bigrigg

Hey all, thanks for the comments.  Sorry for the delay. Work, work, work....anyhoo

The feedback control.....first I attached the transponder flipper doodle to the zapper mosfet to rectify the......nawwww, it's just a 1 mg A(log) pot from input to output that is switchable.  BUT I did find it was the LOG audio pot that worked far better than linear.  As simple as it is, it works perfectly.  My little o'l brain did actually think....if this thing only repeats once, and I can send the feedback through it, the signal will degrade or become quieter each time...then giving a trailing delay or infinite repeats.  Ta Daa!  It will.
OH and yes,, box is waterslide for graphics.

Please send paypal donations to me at feedbackgenius.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

Awesome job! You figured out how to do what I've been wanting with this circuit.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Hangingmonkey

Thats awesome, thanks for posting. Did you use the standard doombutter pcb or a different one to apply the mods.
I have a functioning doombutter which i am very happy with and reading about your mods makes me want to take it apart and redo it.

Hangingmonkey

Also what enclosure is that, it looks bigger than a 1590b

nzCdog

Quote from: midwayfair on September 19, 2012, 06:49:14 PM
holy #!%!@#, this is aces. Also: pink sparkle.

Boldness.
^this
Looks awesom... + pink sparkles make any pedal sound better, it's a fact