News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

WTF (doombutter with extra mods)

Started by bigrigg, September 19, 2012, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Looks so cool.. I love mine and I can only imagine a LDR would be an awesome addition.

Does your fuzz lift actually take away all the breakup? I heard that there is still some clipping even with the "lift mod" done. I have one I made a few months back and would love to incorporate a fuzz lift only if it cleans up. Thanks for any info on it.

dulcetpine

Guys, I am looking at the v1 plan.  I am now trying to solder my capacitors and i noticed that only the electrolytic ones have a +/- designation, how can I tell which is the +/- for the ones that aren't marked on the sheet?

Guybrush

Quote from: dulcetpine on April 14, 2013, 08:29:55 AM
Guys, I am looking at the v1 plan.  I am now trying to solder my capacitors and i noticed that only the electrolytic ones have a +/- designation, how can I tell which is the +/- for the ones that aren't marked on the sheet?

Normal caps aren't polarised. You can solder them in either way.  :)

MattOcaster

Awesome pedal.
Where the hell did the name Doombutter come from?
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

ch1naski

I think it's what Norwegians put on their toast.

;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

das234

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on April 07, 2013, 02:35:02 PM
Thanks for posting up the diagram guybrush
ditto that.

Thread is sweet too.  It answered all my questions before I even asked.  I just ordered this board with the fuzz lift and I think she's gonna get a nice feedback mod too.  So, all I need to add to the parts list is a A1M pot and a SPDT mini toggle to hook into my stomp switch?  (Sorry, I guess I had one question left).

bigrigg

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 10, 2013, 12:50:41 PM
Looks so cool.. I love mine and I can only imagine a LDR would be an awesome addition.

Does your fuzz lift actually take away all the breakup? I heard that there is still some clipping even with the "lift mod" done. I have one I made a few months back and would love to incorporate a fuzz lift only if it cleans up. Thanks for any info on it.
Fuzz mod leaves a slightly dirty signal, just on the verge of break up.  You can work the volume knob and strength of picking to effect it more or less.  I think I mentioned in OP it's not totally clean.
Good luck.

bigrigg

Quote from: Guybrush on April 07, 2013, 01:48:12 PM
Hey Bigrigg

It might be my eyesight but is your regulator transistor facing the opposite direction to what the build doc shows?

I'm having issues with my circuit and I think it's the transistor so was just wondering if turning round might help. A long shot I know.
Hey there, unfortunately (for you) the trans is just like the docs.  No secrets or reversals there.
Good luck.

dulcetpine

By the way, I wanted to post this because I am still in shock that I built this and got it to work on the first try, but I did!  This build was my first attempt at pedal construction and everything I did to put it together was the first time so I was slow, deliberate, checked everything 10 times before soldering or cutting wire, checking components... drilling!  But it was great fun.  I took some photos that I will include later.

I will add that when I first fired it up i didn't think it worked because I plugged it into the front of my amp that had two cables going into the effects send/return but nothing plugged into them so there was a break in the chain, but once i figured out that bone head mistake she sounded gorgeous! 

ch1naski

Quote from: dulcetpine on April 16, 2013, 05:10:24 AM
By the way, I wanted to post this because I am still in shock that I built this and got it to work on the first try, but I did!  This build was my first attempt at pedal construction and everything I did to put it together was the first time so I was slow, deliberate, checked everything 10 times before soldering or cutting wire, checking components... drilling!  But it was great fun.  I took some photos that I will include later.

I will add that when I first fired it up i didn't think it worked because I plugged it into the front of my amp that had two cables going into the effects send/return but nothing plugged into them so there was a break in the chain, but once i figured out that bone head mistake she sounded gorgeous! 
the fact that it is your first build makes it all the more impressive. Great job!
one louder.

Hangingmonkey

Quote from: dulcetpine on April 16, 2013, 05:10:24 AM

Youre not the only one. Ive been building pedals for nearly 2 yrs now and the send return on the amp still always gets me

dulcetpine

First pedal build ever, worked on the first try.  Very proud.  I used the feedback loop mod and I have to say it really makes it a very musical pedal.  I had to use a 1M B pot for the loop because radioshack didn't have the type A pot, but it works fine, just touchy.  They also only had a HUGE pot so I figured I would use a huge knob for it, it actually improves the overall aesthetic IMO.  I find that modification to be very interesting, and I now have it first in my chain.  The oscillations start when I lower the volume on my guitar which makes it very expressive... I love this pedal.

As promised.

ch1naski

Awesome. That's the best, when it works on the first try. It's a pretty good feeling.8)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dulcetpine

Quote from: jimilee on April 24, 2013, 07:51:54 PM
That's a lot of knobs on that boy

I drew some iconography on there with sharpie so i knew what they were, but I did not photograph that.

From Left to Right
TOP:  Volume, Depth, Tracking
MID:  Wet/Dry, Delay Time
BIG:  Feedback
Switches:  Top=Fuzz Lift, Bottom=Feedback Toggle