Main Menu

WTF (doombutter with extra mods)

Started by bigrigg, September 19, 2012, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Quote from: dulcetpine on April 25, 2013, 03:36:14 AM
Quote from: jimilee on April 24, 2013, 07:51:54 PM
That's a lot of knobs on that boy

I drew some iconography on there with sharpie so i knew what they were, but I did not photograph that.

From Left to Right
TOP:  Volume, Depth, Tracking
MID:  Wet/Dry, Delay Time
BIG:  Feedback
Switches:  Top=Fuzz Lift, Bottom=Feedback Toggle

Does your fuzz lift clean up the signal 100% or is it still a bit dirty?

dulcetpine

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 25, 2013, 10:06:40 AM

Does your fuzz lift clean up the signal 100% or is it still a bit dirty?

Difficult to tell since I normally have an OD pushed later on in the chain.  I would say it is clean enough... I do notice that it isn't as expressive/glitchy without the fuzz which is a little disappointing, but not the end of the world because it still sounds amazing.

bigrigg

Quote from: Guybrush on April 08, 2013, 10:51:03 AM
No worries.

I'm really not sure. I remember asking Bigrigg something similar and there was a reason for the switch but can't quite remember what it was. Hopefully he'll show up again on this thread and she'd some light.

I've not actually tried the mod myself yet but the switch is actually a SPDT (not SPST). Should it be on/on or on/off?

All the way counter clockwise is still giving some "extra" reverb/delay effect.  Especially with the volume knob position higher up.  I forgot to mention that they are very interactive.  The feedback and volume knobs.  With the feedback off (standard build) you get that perfect one repeat only.  Engage the mod and it's really a case of how much you want to add, but not starting at exactly ground zero.  Make sense?  The fuzz lift mod will need much more volume knob added to get the extra repeats.  Good luck everyone.

dulcetpine

Guys help me out, I built a second one of these for my brother because he loved it.  After assembly I tested it out and it worked fantastically.  I gave it to him and he brought it to practice and he started getting distortion constantly.  I troubleshooted this and found the PT2399 was bad, I put a new one in and figured it was a lemon component, tested it and it sounded fantastic.  I gave him a standard boss power supply just incase the one he was using wasn't proper.

He just brought it to practice and aparantly he is having the same issue which is leading me to believe there is something wrong with another component elsewhere in the build.  The thing is, it sounds awesome when it is working.... can ya'll give me a strategy for finding what the real issue is?

Thanks kids!

ch1naski

Quote from: dulcetpine on May 13, 2013, 05:16:16 PMGuys help me out, I built a second one of these for my brother because he loved it.  After assembly I tested it out and it worked fantastically.  I gave it to him and he brought it to practice and he started getting distortion constantly.  I troubleshooted this and found the PT2399 was bad, I put a new one in and figured it was a lemon component, tested it and it sounded fantastic.  I gave him a standard boss power supply just incase the one he was using wasn't proper. I just finished one of these, I'm using a godlyke  power all. No issues so far

He just brought it to practice and aparantly he is having the same issue which is leading me to believe there is something wrong with another component elsewhere in the build.  The thing is, it sounds awesome when it is working.... can ya'll give me a strategy for finding what the real issue is?

Thanks kids!
It's possible the regulator is bad killing the delay chip....I've heard stories of the 7805 getting really hot and failing...maybe swap that out with another, or check that it's only giving out 5 volts with a dmm
one louder.

dulcetpine

Quote from: ch1naski on May 13, 2013, 07:30:53 PM
It's possible the regulator is bad killing the delay chip....I've heard stories of the 7805 getting really hot and failing...maybe swap that out with another, or check that it's only giving out 5 volts with a dmm

This was also my first thought, I will try this tonight.  Thanks!

dulcetpine

Guys, I built two of these pedals and they both are suffering similar fates.  There aren't any delays on clean mode, and with the fuzz on I get one buzzy repeat that doesn't seem to react to the delay time pot.  There is also a crackle and pop akin to a vinyl record.

I am going through pt2399 chips and I do not know why.  The 7805 seems okay, so what else could I look for?

ch1naski

Quote from: dulcetpine on May 30, 2013, 02:37:22 PM
Guys, I built two of these pedals and they both are suffering similar fates.  There aren't any delays on clean mode, and with the fuzz on I get one buzzy repeat that doesn't seem to react to the delay time pot.  There is also a crackle and pop akin to a vinyl record.

I am going through pt2399 chips and I do not know why.  The 7805 seems okay, so what else could I look for?
have you checked that the 7805 is putting out 5 volts?  or that the pinout is correct? I know you said it seems to be okay, but that's the only thing I can see ruining your pt2399
one louder.

dulcetpine

I did check it and it seems to, however this sort of thing happens over the course of 15 minutes as the sound degrades.  I soldered the 7805 direct to the pcb, so I removed it and socketed a new one in it's place as well as added a new pt2399.  Sounds great right now, I will let you know how it goes.

gambit07

Quote from: dulcetpine on May 31, 2013, 04:36:28 AM
I did check it and it seems to, however this sort of thing happens over the course of 15 minutes as the sound degrades.  I soldered the 7805 direct to the pcb, so I removed it and socketed a new one in it's place as well as added a new pt2399.  Sounds great right now, I will let you know how it goes.

how was it? was this problem solved?

usually, on all my pt2399 based builds.. they don't seem to last that long.. i had two rebote2.5 delays.. they worked quite well..but after a couple of months, they just die out.. it seems like they have a limit or sumthing..

my pt2399's are bought locally and from hongkong.. haven't really tried to put it in a "controlled" test though.. so i don't know which ones are bad..

any updates with your problem? :-\

das234

Quote from: dulcetpine on April 24, 2013, 05:55:40 PM
First pedal build ever, worked on the first try.  Very proud.  I used the feedback loop mod and I have to say it really makes it a very musical pedal.  I had to use a 1M B pot for the loop because radioshack didn't have the type A pot, but it works fine, just touchy.  They also only had a HUGE pot so I figured I would use a huge knob for it, it actually improves the overall aesthetic IMO.  I find that modification to be very interesting, and I now have it first in my chain.  The oscillations start when I lower the volume on my guitar which makes it very expressive... I love this pedal.

I have 2 questions.  What size pots are those?  And did you ever figure out your problems you were having?

ch1naski

Those look like 16mm pots
one louder.