News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone own a Weller WLC100 Soldering Station? Wattage setting.

Started by stevewire, November 18, 2010, 01:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewire

Hello.  I just upgraded to the Weller WLC100 from the Weller SP23LK Marksman 25 Watt.  I've built 5 pedals with the SP23LK.  GGG Bluesbreaker, GGG Guvnor, KOT clone on veroboard, RangeMaster clone on veroboard and a Madbean Rangemaster.  So 25 watts seemed to work fine for me on those projects.  The new WLC100 has a knob for adjustment between 5 watts and 40 watts.  The dial is not marked as per the wattage.  What would be the most appropriate setting for building pedals or some possible work inside my amp?

For anyone concerned, yes I am aware of the serious safety issues concered with working inside a tube amp.  Drain the caps!

jkokura

Steve, You'll have to experiment. It's kinda like knobs on pedals - you can't translate someone else's settings without knowing what kind of guitar they use or how their amp is set. In different places, even having identical rigs, you still need to adjust the knobs on the SAME pedal.

As for me, I use a 25 watt weller iron, always have. I graduated from bright orange to light blue. Works fer me. Start at 25 and move on up if you need the heat.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stevewire

I upgraded from the Weller SP23LK Marksman 25 Watt because Weller doesn't make any replaceable tips for it and the WLC100 seemed nice.  Since 25 watts seemed fine before, I wondered if there was an optimum wattage for this type of work. 

Thanks for your help.  Like most things, I guess I just have to get in there and work it out.

Myramyd

Hey Steve,

I have the WLC100 and I put it somewhere between just below 3 and just above 3, depending on the board and/or what I'm soldering. It's been about right for pedals in that spot. Mind you, this is with the fine point pencil tip, not the large one that comes with it.

J

stevewire

Thank you Myramyd.   That is exactly the information I am looking for.  I'll have to look into getting a different tip also.