News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vox Dual Channel Full Plate Voltage Pre-amp

Started by JakeFuzz, September 26, 2012, 09:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattOcaster

Dude this is sick!

Did you consider running it off a SMPS (nixie-style) power supply to avoid the transformer?
Or is there an advantage to the transformer?

Very impressive job! ;D
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

JakeFuzz

Quote from: GrindCustoms on September 27, 2012, 09:03:06 PM
Thanks for the info! I may choose a fancy color it makes a really long time that i did'nt bought a painted enclosure.

Yup, it's that amp, my first amp project :)

Yeah I've seen that amp kit. It actually uses one 12au7 as a self split kind of deal so it does run in push pull. That has about 1 watt output right? Man that is cool, let us know how it sounds. I think one of the miniature vox night train heads was like that. I am also slowly putting together a deacy amp with an 8"; that should be an interesting one.

Quote from: MattOcaster on September 28, 2012, 04:42:27 AM
Did you consider running it off a SMPS (nixie-style) power supply to avoid the transformer?
Or is there an advantage to the transformer?

I've never seen those type of power supplies before. Is that MOSFET and 555 acting like a high voltage charge pump? That is a wild idea. I wonder if it can get up to around 350 volts. It can deliver enough current too. Ill have to look into this in the future. Thanks!

MattOcaster

Yep, it'll get up to 350V - and without a bulky transformer!

Im actually working on a Bassman preamp with a SMPS psu.
All on breadboard at the moment but it works!

There have been other DIY designs using the SMPS, like the Frequency Central "Superfly" amp and the Analog Sound "GTFO" overdrive. I used the GTFO power section for my project.

Check it out :)
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

JakeFuzz

Quote from: MattOcaster on September 28, 2012, 10:17:37 AM

There have been other DIY designs using the SMPS, like the Frequency Central "Superfly" amp and the Analog Sound "GTFO" overdrive. I used the GTFO power section for my project.

That is ridiculously cool. I see how it works now, very much like a high voltage charge pump. The Weber tranny isn't too bad as far as cost ($20) but I agree it is a pain to lug all that weight around.

Ettore_M

Quote from: MattOcaster on September 28, 2012, 10:17:37 AM

I've actually wanted to build an amp using the nixie SMPS, but I heard it may cause hum, so I rejected the idea. I may try it myself to see if I have any issues.. But please, keep us posted on your project!  ;)
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

nzCdog

SMPS is generally not recommended for amplification... particularly high gain.  A world of transients and ripple awaits you... which translates to whistles, whines and other intermittent weirdness.  Linear transformer based is the way to go.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: JakeFuzz on September 28, 2012, 05:50:19 AM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on September 27, 2012, 09:03:06 PM
Thanks for the info! I may choose a fancy color it makes a really long time that i did'nt bought a painted enclosure.

Yup, it's that amp, my first amp project :)

Yeah I've seen that amp kit. It actually uses one 12au7 as a self split kind of deal so it does run in push pull. That has about 1 watt output right? Man that is cool, let us know how it sounds. I think one of the miniature vox night train heads was like that. I am also slowly putting together a deacy amp with an 8"; that should be an interesting one.

I was on PPP site yesterday night and none of the DD sized enclosure listed where in the «Tall» sizing.......i may be stupid or just not getting it..........

And yes it's a 1watt amp, also have a 8inch speaker on his way for a little cab for this amp, really excited about this project.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

timbo_93631

Quote from: JakeFuzz on September 26, 2012, 11:14:41 PM
Thanks guys. Demos this weekend when I get a chance. I went through the TB channel with a fine tooth comb and can't find anything totally obvious  ??? Ill have to start doing component checks.

Misha, the regulators are for the tube filaments. I could probably run the 12ax7 filaments on 12VAC without the center tap but I don't want tons of high current AC lines running all over the place. The other regulator is tuned under load (LM317) to 6.3 volts to run the EF86. Those suckers get hot too, I hope they last...  

Oh and thanks to Timbo BTW for suggesting this project. You were dead on about the EF86 sounding killer!
Man Paul, sheesh.  You get the credit for this one, it is SO STINKING NEAT!  Really good work here.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

stecykmi

Quote from: nzCdog on September 28, 2012, 02:36:41 PM
SMPS is generally not recommended for amplification... particularly high gain.  A world of transients and ripple awaits you... which translates to whistles, whines and other intermittent weirdness.  Linear transformer based is the way to go.

off topic but...
peavey actually released a 300 watt bass amp with a switching power supply called the VB-3. it runs 8 x el34's and 5 preamp tubes. http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/series/813/Pro%E2%84%A2%20Series

SMPS are possible for audio, but they need to be purpose built, primarily the switching frequency needs to be well above the audio range, and they need to be well regulated.

midwayfair

nzCdog

Quote from: stecykmi on September 30, 2012, 08:32:20 AM
off topic but...
peavey actually released a 300 watt bass amp with a switching power supply called the VB-3. it runs 8 x el34's and 5 preamp tubes. http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/series/813/Pro%E2%84%A2%20Series
That looks pretty cool :)

QuoteSMPS are possible for audio, but they need to be purpose built, primarily the switching frequency needs to be well above the audio range, and they need to be well regulated.]SMPS are possible for audio, but they need to be purpose built, primarily the switching frequency needs to be well above the audio range, and they need to be well regulated.
Fair comment Misha... In theory its got to be possible, its just my experience in the lab at school with switched mode means I wouldn't recommend it at all... even my TC Nova Delay SMPS wall wart gives intermittent noises... :(  

pickdropper

I love this build. 

The outside looks great, but the wiring is particularly cool.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

JakeFuzz

Thanks!

Just a little update. I finally got some time to do some basic checks on the TB channel and I still cannot find whats wrong. All voltages and current draws are normal. Component values have been triple checked. The issue is that as I turn the gain knob past about 12 it goes into a fizzy crackling mode, where the fizz sits in the back of a low volume clean signal all the way up to maximum on the gain. Audio probing tells me that directly off of the plate of the first tube I am getting this issue which means it can only be from a weird ground connection with the V1 cathode and the gain pot or there is some kind of strange output impedance problem with V1 as I turn up the gain. I have disconnected V1 from the circuit and will probe it like this next. Could it be that I used a 1.5K cathode resistor instead of around 3K because the real Vox is a shared cathode/twin triode setup? It sure doesn't seem like it but it is the only thing I can see that is different at this point.  ???, another strange thing I was seeing is that as I increase the gain up to maximum the current draw into the cathode follower increases and the plate current into V1B decreases...

jkokura

Is it possible that the problem is with V1 and not with the circuitry Paul?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: jkokura on September 30, 2012, 06:35:06 PM
Is it possible that the problem is with V1 and not with the circuitry Paul?

Jacob

Yep I thought that too. I swapped V1 with a few different tubes and I still get the same results.