News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

an easier flanger?

Started by eniacmike, November 21, 2010, 07:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eniacmike

I saw a band last night and the guitar player was using the maxon fl-9 and it sounded awesome.

I looked at a couple of projects over on tonepad and they look really complex. I heard the electric mistress is really hard to do too, is there any way to make an easier flanger? I might just buy the ehx nano mistress but I heard they aren't as good as the older ones.

jkokura

Probably because it's not analog. By nature, analog Flangers are big and complex and expensive. Even worse is the uber cool a/da flanger.

I've built the fl301 project at tonepad. It's awesome, but it's a 1590bb project at least.

Easier or smaller? Not seen one yet.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

I got my FL301 in a 125B...fits okay. Little tight, but even managed to get are charge pump in there too to run it at 15v.

Anyway, I think there might be a simple flanger on John Hollis page. Yep, the Ultra Flanger: http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/circuits.html

Haven't built it, but I'm sure there is some info about it on DIYSB.

eniacmike

okay well then a madbean flanger then. with onboard charge pump (if needed) and a tight design.

I am not so worried about the size of the pedal, but the bom's for the flangers I have seen make my head spin.

I will look to see if there is a layout for the ultra flanger.

jkokura

I wonder about Flangers a little bit. I think I wanna look into the Electric Mistress, but the expectation of the potential rarity of the chips is turning me off a little. I hesitate, and I don't even know if they're readily available even! In any case, the boards don't seem to be readily available. Probably have to go and pick up a good old big box EHX mistress if I want to try it out.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Over at DIYSB, solderman posted a cool project based on the Guyatone flanger, which uses a MN3207/MN3102 pair. I think it sounds great. I'd actually like to see that one done up as a madbean project, because I don't care for solderman's all-in-one layout (it has the 3pdt pads on the board).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

johnk

i built the madbean current lover and it just barely fit in a 125B. it does sound great though.

....and I got my Tonepad F-301 including a charge pump in a 1590B with no problems. it was a fairly tight fit but not too difficult.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

johnk

thanks guys. I prefer the sound of the Current Lover over the F-301 by quite a large margin.

Guitarmageddon

Did someone say "easier flanger?"  ;)

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

kothoma

Quote from: madbean on November 21, 2010, 10:31:36 PM
Anyway, I think there might be a simple flanger on John Hollis page. Yep, the Ultra Flanger: http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/circuits.html

Quote from: eniacmike on November 21, 2010, 10:35:26 PM
I will look to see if there is a layout for the ultra flanger.

Just be aware that a lot of people report ticking problems with the ultra flanger.

See for example here: http://archive.ampage.org/threads/6/open/341507/John_Hollis_Ultra_Flanger-1.html
and several threads at diystompboxes.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects