News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Subtle Signs of terminal buildage

Started by alanp, October 11, 2012, 02:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

1. A shot glass on the table -- no booze, but full of component leg offcuts, for onboard jumpers and wire links on 3pdt switches.

How about you?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

My soldering workspace is the only place a cup of tea will go unfinished in my house. This is indicative of my hierarchy of obsessions.

pietro_moog

i'm not really obsessed about diy, but i have a room for that. and a painting cabin in the garage. 

calciferspit

Looking through project docs and deciding I need to build something because I know that I have ONE of the cap values it requires on hand. Justifying the purchase of 79 components to use up one leftover.

TNblueshawk

I'm a coffee junky but each morning before I go to work I do about an hour of building. I heat up my large cup of coffee for the garage and bring it down (mind you I've down half the pot already) and then I get so involved in the building my coffee goes untouched. A coffee foul if you will.
John

eldanko

Finding clipped component leads in laundry, shoes, pedalboards, cereal, my dog's fur...
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

GermanCdn

I get in an hour of building before work, half an hour at lunch, and three hours after my wife goes to bed, pretty much four days a week, yet I can't figure out why I'm so tired all the time.....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

DutchMF

Thinking about clever things to do building-wise whilst riding my bike to work (15 min trip) and then missing my last turnoff because I'm obsessively thinking about switches, caps, pots etc..... And the cold coffee/stale beer thing!
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

I once was so into building that my untouched cup of tea developed a layer of ice on top.

I live in Canada.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Better ice than mold...

I've had a few cups of tea and/or coffee hide on my workbench for a while... Yuck
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

timbo_93631

I am guilty of eveything mentioned above. 
I have an organ magnet that won't turn off.   I see a free organ and I see a component goldmine, my wife sees me spending hours upon hours in the shop taking doo-dads out of a pile of crap and treating as if they were treasure when I could be doing things on her honey-do list. 
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

alanp

Even organs that are mostly air, with PCB's bolted to one side with a heap of proprietary ic's on them? (Seriously, that's about all that trademe ever has.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gordo

I'm a TV magnet.  I stripped a projection TV about 8 years ago of all it's boards and to this day I'm stripping parts.  Bottom line...grab parts from whatever source you can.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pryde

Internet Explorer's "Your most popular sites" when opening a new tab. Top 5 are:

madbeanpedals.com forum
freestompboxes.org
diystomboxes.com forum
mouser.com
smallbear

;D

timbo_93631

Quote from: alanp on October 12, 2012, 06:57:17 PM
Even organs that are mostly air, with PCB's bolted to one side with a heap of proprietary ic's on them? (Seriously, that's about all that trademe ever has.)
Yeah, in that case I'd pass unless some of those IC's were any good like BBDs and it had a good set of speakers.  Alot of times you can get a replacement parts list that will cross reference the house numbers on the organ components to what they really are.  If it's from the 70's and has a cassette deck built in, yeah keeper, there's Germanium in those!  Lowrey?  Okay, I'll take the nice speakers, miles of topcoat wire, ElMenco 100v capacitors, and right size 56k carbon comps to make a true bypass mod on a Thomas Organ Crybaby only as visible as the switch.  If it is a Hammond like my M103 that came to me for $80, well that's a keeper.  If it's a hammond that's trashed, then it can still become a guitar amp if the iron is good, stock Hammond labelled tubes are sometimes Amperex and Tung Sol, and you can probably salvage some parts to sell on ebay especially if the tone generator spins free, vibrato scanner is good, start motor works. etc. etc. etc.

You can see my organ magnet working hard in the paragraph above.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups