News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Gatekeeper

Started by pickdropper, October 11, 2012, 05:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

oops, I meant drill patterN -- like taping down a piece of paper will drill marks to show you where to drill.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Ah, I should've been able to figure that out.

Yes, I use a center punch to mark all the holes beforehand, but the center one is really the only important one as I drill them out on a mill with an X-Y table.   The drill spacing is all decided from the point of origin.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wgc

That is a gorgeous pedal!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

GrindCustoms

I'm not a fan of many pedal builders out there........, but i'm a fan of yours! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

nzCdog

Nice job... the etching looks so slick and your graphic design rocks

pickdropper

Quote from: GrindCustoms on October 12, 2012, 01:23:38 AM
I'm not a fan of many pedal builders out there........, but i'm a fan of yours! 8)

Thanks Rej, I appreciate that.

Thanks to everybody else for the kind words, too.
Function f(x)

Ettore_M

I'm a little late, but holy F**K!  :o
That's great, pickdropper! Awesome etching and unbelievable SMD action! What size are the resistors and caps? 0603 or 0805?
This is one of the most beautiful pedals I have seen lately! I think I'll agree with Rej! ;D
Well done!  ;)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

pickdropper

Quote from: Ettore_M on October 12, 2012, 10:20:10 AM
I'm a little late, but holy F**K!  :o
That's great, pickdropper! Awesome etching and unbelievable SMD action! What size are the resistors and caps? 0603 or 0805?
This is one of the most beautiful pedals I have seen lately! I think I'll agree with Rej! ;D
Well done!  ;)

Hector

Thanks Hector.  This board uses 0805 for both the resistors and caps.  On my layouts, I usually use 0603 resistors and 0805 caps.  I like having different sizes for each type.
Function f(x)

Ettore_M

Sounds good! You gain even more space using smaller sizes.. I just started using SMD and I don't  think I can solder smaller than 0805. You should have seen my face when for the first time I saw them. I was like "How the heck am I going to solder these tiny things?"! For now, I don't want this to happen again.  :D

By the way, it would be great if you could make a tutorial showing how you solder SMD. I have to admit I'm not that good at soldering SMD, but at least they work.  ;D
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

icecycle66

The compnent arrangement really complements the graphic design.  That looks really well thought out.

Is there any significance to the straight lines coming from the control knob?  Such as minimum, maximum, and common settings.

pickdropper

Quote from: Ettore_M on October 12, 2012, 02:29:02 PM
Sounds good! You gain even more space using smaller sizes.. I just started using SMD and I don't  think I can solder smaller than 0805. You should have seen my face when for the first time I saw them. I was like "How the heck am I going to solder these tiny things?"! For now, I don't want this to happen again.  :D

By the way, it would be great if you could make a tutorial showing how you solder SMD. I have to admit I'm not that good at soldering SMD, but at least they work.  ;D

Hey Hector, I remember seeing a really good tutorial a while back that somebody did.  It was nearly exactly the same as I solder SMT parts, so I'll try and find that.  If I can't find it, I can probably put something together.

The secret to soldering surface mount is iron tip size and flux.  A good flux pen can make things look a LOT better.  I recommend the Kester #186 Flux pen.  It's mildly activated RMA, so you may want to wash it after you are done. 
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: icecycle66 on October 12, 2012, 03:58:39 PM
The compnent arrangement really complements the graphic design.  That looks really well thought out.

Is there any significance to the straight lines coming from the control knob?  Such as minimum, maximum, and common settings.

Actually, the two lower left and lower right lines do correlate to min and max on the dial.  The upper one (that is aligned with the knob line in the photo) doesn't correlate to anything.  But once I finish biasing it, who knows?   ;D
Function f(x)

Ettore_M

Quote from: pickdropper on October 12, 2012, 08:14:31 PM
Hey Hector, I remember seeing a really good tutorial a while back that somebody did.  It was nearly exactly the same as I solder SMT parts, so I'll try and find that.  If I can't find it, I can probably put something together.

The secret to soldering surface mount is iron tip size and flux.  A good flux pen can make things look a LOT better.  I recommend the Kester #186 Flux pen.  It's mildly activated RMA, so you may want to wash it after you are done. 
Both sound good. But +1 for you doing a tutorial for the Members Projects and Tutorials subforum! I think more people would be interested in seeing something like it!  ;)

I know that flux makes things easier, but I've never tried it.. I always forget to buy some! My mistake, I guess... :-[
By the way, what tip size are you using?
- Culturejam

pickdropper

Hey Hector,

Sorry for the late reply.  For surface mount components I use a 0.2mm round tip.  The profile of it is very narrow as well.
Function f(x)

k.rock!

Wow!! This looks great man!! I love it!

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com