News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pi/4 Smoothie

Started by timbo_93631, October 12, 2012, 04:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

Love the smoothie,1590a's are fun to try and pull off cleanly.

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

midwayfair

That's beautiful, Timbo. I really like the way you've been doing the enclosures, and you deserve props for getting the jacks to fit properly like that even with a "larger" board.

GrindCustoms

Looks really nice, love the whole style around it :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Bret608

I was just about to say, the style reminds me of Grind Customs a bit!  :)

You even have some carbon comp mojo on board, if my eyes aren't fooling me. Awesome!

pickdropper

Looks great.  Both the inside and outside.

I think Rej has started a trend with these enclosures.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on October 12, 2012, 06:43:03 PM

To be fair, Timbo's been doing the sanded edges for a while. His mojo rangemaster in the auction has them, and that's multiple years old.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on October 12, 2012, 06:45:25 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 12, 2012, 06:43:03 PM

To be fair, Timbo's been doing the sanded edges for a while. His mojo rangemaster in the auction has them, and that's multiple years old.

Oops, my bad.  Sorry about that, Timbo. 

I stand by my statement about it looking good, tho.  :-)
Function f(x)

timbo_93631

Thanks for the compliments guys.  I am continually inspired to improve the outside and guts of my pedals by the quality of work you are all routinely putting out. 
     I really like the finishes Rej has been doing, especially with the letter punch.  Mine are based around one color sanded away, and namely it is a textured sparkle black rustoleum paint and then hand lettered with a paint pen, sanded again and buried in clear.  Rej is going for more of a multi color design sanding it away to make for some very lovely contrasts between the colors.  I think we both stumbled across the same thing at different times, and that is a distressed paint job has many happy accidents that look super cool! 
     The RM referenced by Jon was my first foray into keeping that as a finished look and even though I liked it alot I did a bunch more stuff trying to do sunbursts with a satin metallic soft gold paint and the textured sparkle black, like my Cosmonut Cosmopolitan, the first Space Verb and Smoothie I did awhile back too.  That eventually transformed into the distressed sparkle black that was on my Blueberry Drive Hotcake clone and quite a few of my MKII and MKIII Tonebenders too in the spring, so in reality I think Rej and I both decided to keep on with the sanded look at right around the same time.   I won't speak for him, but I recognize it as a powerful design element that holds it's own alongside the beautifully executed graphics that so many members here produce.  I don't have the skill or tools to do that kind of pro-graphics look, but I can get handy with sandpaper and paint pens!

Sunday Handwound Pickups

pickdropper

Quote from: timbo_93631 on October 12, 2012, 07:22:02 PM
     Thanks for the compliments guys.  I am continually inspired to improve the outside and guts of my pedals by the quality of work you are all routinely putting out. 
     I really like the finishes Rej has been doing, especially with the letter punch.  Mine are based around one color sanded away, and namely it is a textured sparkle black rustoleum paint and then hand lettered with a paint pen, sanded again and buried in clear.  Rej is going for more of a multi color design sanding it away to make for some very lovely contrasts between the colors.  I think we both stumbled across the same thing at different times, and that is a distressed paint job has many happy accidents that look super cool! 
     The RM referenced by Jon was my first foray into keeping that as a finished look and even though I liked it alot I did a bunch more stuff trying to do sunbursts with a satin metallic soft gold paint and the textured sparkle black, like my Cosmonut Cosmopolitan, the first Space Verb and Smoothie I did awhile back too.  That eventually transformed into the distressed sparkle black that was on my Blueberry Drive Hotcake clone and quite a few of my MKII and MKIII Tonebenders too in the spring, so in reality I think Rej and I both decided to keep on with the sanded look at right around the same time.   I won't speak for him, but I recognize it as a powerful design element that holds it's own alongside the beautifully executed graphics that so many members here produce.  I don't have the skill or tools to do that kind of pro-graphics look, but I can get handy with sandpaper and paint pens!

Classy response, Timbo.

Now that you mention your earlier builds by name, I can even remember the pictures of the sanded edges (particularly the Space Verb).  I never meant the comparison to Rej's finishing style to be a negative comment, but I had totally forgotten you had been doing it for a while.  Sorry about my goof.
Function f(x)

midwayfair

heh. I just noticed that this song's in Pi/4ths.

:)

timbo_93631

As a dyed in the wool math goober, phase shift pedals are mentally exciting.  When I was in Trig and we first went over Phase Shift with trig functions all I could think was, "I know what that sounds like!"  Radian measure as a time signature, now that is fun!
Sunday Handwound Pickups

icecycle66

Quote from: timbo_93631 on October 12, 2012, 08:36:07 PM
As a dyed in the wool math goober, phase shift pedals are mentally exciting.  When I was in Trig and we first went over Phase Shift with trig functions all I could think was, "I know what that sounds like!"  Radian measure as a time signature, now that is fun!

Nerd.

timbo_93631

Quote from: icecycle66 on October 12, 2012, 08:49:40 PM
Quote from: timbo_93631 on October 12, 2012, 08:36:07 PM

Nerd.
Yep.  Pretty much!
Sunday Handwound Pickups

aballen

I'm impressed with how you got that all done with bigger resistors, jacks, etc... and it still looks pretty damn clean!

raulduke

Nice build dude.

Very neat for a 1590A build as well; good stuff  :)