News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boomstick way too bassy ?

Started by pnak, June 05, 2010, 05:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnak

I built the boomstick and it works but has almost no treble.
Distortion is good but with alot of bass, I did substitute the
tone control with a 100kA instead of a 100kB but that should
not cause this problem.
What component will add some treble?

madbean

Try reducing the input cap to 22n. Are you sure you used 2n (or 2n2) for C8 and C9?

oldhousescott

The BOR does have a lot of bass, but it should have plenty of sizzle on tap too. A 100kA versus 100kB tone pot won't change the frequency curve, but it will shove all the adjustment toward the top 10% of the travel. If you can't get enough treble even with the tone pot dimed, double-check the values of all the components from C5 through to the output volume pot. You can remove C8 or C9 or both to increase the treble response.

madbean

Yes, the two 10k's and 2n's at the output create a -12db roll-off starting at just under 8kHz. You can remove one of them, or replace both with 1n, which will shift the starting point up to 16kHz. You will often see a mix: one 2n2 and one 1n, which creates a more complicated curve.

pnak

Thanks for the input , gonna break out the soldering iron this afternoon after the honeydo's.
And a big thanks to you Madbean great site and a DO-IT-YOURSELFER'S dream.
I see that you have just moved from Austin , I live just north of Corpus Christi but can get enough
of the Hill country and  Gruene Hall . Good luck in the new town.

pnak

I went back and checked the component value again I even went as far as checking the caps with my meter and everything looks like its suppose to.
I changed the input cap from a 100n to a 22n and tone seemed to stay the same I also pulled C9 and still  no treble.
I am open for more suggestions.
Thanks

madbean

I would change C8 to 1n, then. Without C9, then changing C8 will make a noticeable difference. Reducing C7 from 100n to 22n will make a pretty big change with the tone knob, too: it will flatten out the low end hump which should let you hear some more treble.

These two changes will more or less flatten the frequency shaping when the tone knob is in the middle position.