News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hot Chilicon Fuzz (my 1st pedal build!)

Started by jalmonsalmon, October 12, 2012, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalmonsalmon

I thought I would share!
This the 1st pedal I ever attempted to build and I really learned how to make solder FLOW after this one.
Unforgiving etched PCB for a noob = solder blobs! I cleaned the board up however and checked the traces with a DIMM and all is well! I have since then bought a better soldering iron with the pencil tip and know how to solder now  ;D
Hot Chilicon Fuzz for those that don't know is just a modded tonebender I think from Aron Nelson or something like that - has a tone knob and fat switch - 4 transistors and this thing sings!
I have a resistor sitting in sockets so I can use a trim pot to further tweak it but it sounds good as is so I never put the bias trimmer in LOL

and the guts

I have not see any decent youtube demos of this one so I made this

I think the next tonebender I am going to make is madbean's pastyface with some russian Ge's
;)

Cheers!

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

njkke

Great job  ;)

jalmonsalmon

;)
yeah, I would have rather gotten a quality PCB from madbean than suffer with the OTHER pcb
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

Jurassic

Looking good! Thanks for the demo, sounds really nice!

Bret608

I really like the playing on the demo, very tasteful. Did you get this as a kit from Mammoth? I was sceptical about the Si transistors, but they sound really nice in a Tonebender-style circuit!

jalmonsalmon

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

Yeah I got that kit from mammoth and for four funky little Si transistors that cost next to nothing...
Aron Nelson's site has a vero of that one too under Ulysse's that I wish I saw before I got the kit. LOL
Pedal sounds great for what it does and side by side with my tonebender mk II it is *cough* more usable.
I love the Mk II but it is over the top and to really get everything out of the Mk II, IMO best on a cranked   (insert your favorite British amp here ) amp!  ;D

BTW I just ordered a weener wah with the whipple... if I get that going properly, DEMO to follow  :thumbs up:

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

slimtriggers

Sounds really good!  I'm gonna go search for the vero layout for this one now ;)

GrindCustoms

Nice looking built! But the «OTHER» left a bad taste in my mouth.....

Quote from: slimtriggers on October 18, 2012, 02:17:40 AM
Sounds really good!  I'm gonna go search for the vero layout for this one now ;)

Hot Silicon is indeed a really nice circuit, if you ever do it, try it with BC549C or BC550, it «breath» a bit more than with the 2N5089....
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jalmonsalmon

I am going to have to try the BC549C's or 550s in there. I always socket the transistors to I can mess around with them

thanks!
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

TNblueshawk

Congrats on your first and it looks great.

The single sided etches are a little different technique but nothing you can't get the hang of. I lay that iron on there a few seconds longer before I apply solder. Seems to work for me.

Nice chops too.
John

Haberdasher

very nice job with your first build, and you have already made more demos than me. :)

Quote from: jalmonsalmon on October 17, 2012, 01:30:21 AMBTW I just ordered a weener wah with the whipple...
you will love the wah, it's amazing.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS