News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sea Urchin (first build report)

Started by wolfingsworth, October 13, 2012, 10:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfingsworth

After having this thing done for months now, I am finally getting around to making a build report. I've been reaping the benefits of this online community for a couple of years now and I think it's about time I contribute something (crude as it may be).

After reading the thread notes about the 'popping' with the switch, I did the pull down resistor trick, but I also I decided to give the relay bypass trick a go. I went with the AMZ true bypass relay system because it was the first one I found, and I think Jack O is awesome. Major props go out to Brian for the layout! I didn't even think about it until I went to box it up and I realized that everything was already in the right place :) Also, this was my first foray into PCB mounted pots... Win! Kill two birds with one stone, pot wiring is a PITA and board mounting can be tricky. Color is PPP custom "Gloss Black- Aqua Illusion" which turned out to be more green than expected, but sparkly and shiny nonetheless. I tried hand painting the graphics and it turned out alright, but someday I will be able to make cool graphics on the compy like so many of you talented people.

pickdropper

Very nice build.  Those birds are cool.

I too was surprised by how green the box is.  It looks great on that build, though.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

Agreed. Nice color on the enclosure, and really nice job with the painting.

electricstorm

Did the AMZ True Bypass board help with the popping?

I installed a 680K resistor on the output and it still pops a little when I first turn it on, but does not pop after that unless I unplug the input cable (to the guitar) and let it sit for a while. Then it pops a little and then stops.

Jim
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

Lovetone Flanger  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v4twi2sbs0l5p7/1Ep9NbRE2T

DutchMF

Quote from: pickdropper on October 13, 2012, 11:15:58 PM
Very nice build.  Those birds are cool.

I too was surprised by how green the box is.  It looks great on that build, though.

What PD said! Great looking build man, nice!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Haberdasher

I dig that Gloss Black- Aqua Illusion color.  Imma have to get me one of those.
nice work!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

wolfingsworth

Thanks for the comments guys!
Quote from: electricstorm on October 14, 2012, 11:19:24 AM
Did the AMZ True Bypass board help with the popping?

I installed a 680K resistor on the output and it still pops a little when I first turn it on, but does not pop after that unless I unplug the input cable (to the guitar) and let it sit for a while. Then it pops a little and then stops.

Jim
I never really got a pop so I guess it works! I used a100k pulldown resistor and it must have done the trick. I probably won't use a relay bypass again as it cost around $20 just for the switching, but it is kind of nice to have the soft touch.

midwayfair