News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Things I have learned today - Perf board is not for me

Started by juansolo, October 15, 2012, 09:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

I mean seriously, I have a LOT of patience generally, I have no issue at all with vero. But perf, no. People who do this, and certainly people who can turn out perf as neatly as Rick from Frequency Central, must have the patience of a saint.

I do not.

I say no to perf board.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GermanCdn

I'm with you on this one.  I've got a 50% success rate on all of my perf attempts (3 for 6), and honestly, I have no idea why it's actually that high, lol.  Granted, my vero box of fail has also been growing as of late, so maybe it's an operator error.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Rick is unbelievable. I don't know if he's done one or not, but a video of how he does his perf magic would be wonderful.

My attempts have largely failed. Perf and I do not get along.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

saxoftenest

My one and only attempt at perf is what motivated me to learn EAGLE, so...  ;D

midwayfair

Quote from: saxoftenest on October 15, 2012, 10:19:48 AM

As much as I love working with perfboard --my impatience to build some NOW NOW NOW overrides any impatience I might have when actually working with the stuff ... -- when I see a post like this, I heartily support yours and Juansolo's decision.  ;)

angrykoko

Quote from: saxoftenest on October 15, 2012, 10:19:48 AM

Same here.. except for "complete a project in EAGLE" un-said part of that.
Mostly I just hope and search to find etchable pcb art.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

alanp

I perfed up a 22/7. Worked with no troubleshooting (I think I might have killed the 4046 from the board lying around the sofa, though.)

Definitely takes more conscious thought with regards to positioning things, though, even working from a  layout.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

greyscales

I accidentally ordered two huge perfboards not too long ago, so I've been trying to use it here and there to get rid of it. How anybody does a perf layout larger than a fuzz or boost is beyond my comprehension.

It's not for the impatient, that's for sure. Hats off to Midwayfair for pulling off crazy 1590a perf designs.