News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Has anyone ever gotten usable PT2399s from Tayda?

Started by mgwhit, October 15, 2012, 07:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgwhit

There seem to be a lot of threads where people suggest that the PT2399s they bought from Tayda were noisy or simply non-working.  I haven't ordered from Tayda in a long time, but I need to this week and was wondering if I should throw a few in.  I suppose for the price I can afford to experiment.

Are there multiple manufacturers of legitimate PT2399s?  If not, are Tayda selling clones or work-alikes (or fakes)?

GermanCdn

I ordered 10 of them a while back, have used 4 or 5 with no problems.  For the price, it's worth the gamble, even if you get a couple of duds.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

slacker775

I just ordered a few as well.  Having heard various things about diff PT2399's, I checked around and at like $.50 vs $2-3 at other places, it was certainly a no brainer.  Haven't put them to use yet so I can't speak to the quality.

angrykoko

Just put two in my multiplex.  They sound as good as the others I've bought.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

nzCdog

I've bought 3, all working.  I have a suspicion all of these complaints of non working chips are ESD related tbh

mgwhit

Great!  Thanks, everyone.  I can can certainly risk a buck or two on these, especially since I know I have to order from a couple other suppliers soon anyway.

pickdropper

I've bought 12 from them.  I've only tried 4 or so, but they all worked fine.

Now if only they would carry the surface mount version (I did put in a request).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pk1802

I bought 2 from Tayda, both tested in the same circuit, they both work. I'm never sure about the "noise" that people hear with PT2399s, but I don't believe I hear any extra noise brought about by the chips.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: pk1802 on October 15, 2012, 09:11:26 PM
I bought 2 from Tayda, both tested in the same circuit, they both work. I'm never sure about the "noise" that people hear with PT2399s, but I don't believe I hear any extra noise brought about by the chips.

You would definitly hear it, cracking in the repeats, inconsistent......

The last time that i bought PT's from Tayda i got 50 of them, i have around half of them used now and only 1 seemed to be defective but i think it was blown by a bad working 78L05 Vreg....

Changed the Vreg for one that i tested before installing, still had a background noise, swapped the PT and it was all good.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

slimtriggers

Bought 3 of them a while back.  1st one I popped into my Sea Urchin worked perfectly, so I haven't tried the others yet :)  Those are destined for the Multi-Plex.

9Lives

I got a batch of about 10a month or to ago and they were all good. Of course these are the only ones i had. Some seemed more effective in-circuit, or seemed to sound better. Might be placebo

juansolo

Don't think we've ever had any duff ones (just slapped 4 into a pair of Multiplexes no probs).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mysticaxe

It looks like Tayda is substantially cheaper than places like Small Bear.  Is there a reason not to order stuff from them (other than supporting a small American business vs. a Thai business)?

GermanCdn

Tayda's a solid company to order from, and you can't beat their prices.  I've placed at least 7 orders this year with them, no bum components to report.  Typical shipping time is a week and a bit, so even that doesn't work against them.  And if you can catch one of the 15% FB promos, even better.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

The main reason perhaps to go with Smallbear is that they carry more specific parts that Tayda doesn't. The variety that Smallbear carries astounds me. Granted, some of their prices are more expensive, but they do have a different level of overhead compared to a Thai company. I find that Smallbear is my favourite place to get Pots and the hard to find extras. I get passives, ICs and transistors pretty regularly from Tayda. PPP for enclosures for sure. Mammoth has been making headway for me as well.

One stop shop? Tayda's not quite there yet. Smallbear is still the closest for one stop shopping.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals