News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Micro Amp Build - first etched enclosure (Non-Mad Bean Content)

Started by Stomptown, October 16, 2012, 05:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

I just build an MXR Micro Amp using an Aaron Nelson stripboard design which utilizes a JRC 4558D instead of a single op amp. It's pretty simple boost. It does what it's supposed to do, but I'm yet to try it in the clubs so the verdict is still out. This is also my first etched enclosure, which went pretty well for a first go around. Any advice on how to avoid pitting would be appreciated (I think it looks very cool for this design but I need to avoid it for my next etch). Check it out and let me know what you think...

hoodoo

Looks great mate, the pitting just adds some character i think. Can i ask what paint did you use, enamel/acrylic? and did you have trouble when sanding it back, as i recently tried my first etch and i struggled with the painting. My etch was not as deep as this which i think may have been my problem, anyhow, well done and all the best, Matt.

raulduke

MattOcaster

It helps if you can go over the non exposed areas with either tape or paint to give it extra protection.
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

GrindCustoms

Haha! Is it going to give birth to another in 9 month?

Looks great man! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

bigrigg

That looks great.  Really good looking finish for your first etched box.  Congrats.

midwayfair

Excellent etch. I also think the pitting adds character and interest.

Stomptown

Quote from: hoodoo on October 16, 2012, 06:42:30 AM
Looks great mate, the pitting just adds some character i think. Can i ask what paint did you use, enamel/acrylic? and did you have trouble when sanding it back, as i recently tried my first etch and i struggled with the painting. My etch was not as deep as this which i think may have been my problem, anyhow, well done and all the best, Matt.

I first tried to use acrylic paint but I had to put on a thick coat in order to get it to appear opaque. I didn't want a thick coat because I sill wanted to see the etch so I decided to start over. In the end I did one coat of semi-flat black spray paint and wet sanded it off the surface with a 600 grit. We will see how durable it is but it would be easy to touch up down the line. Hope this helps!

Stomptown

Quote from: GrindCustoms on October 16, 2012, 11:17:06 AM
Haha! Is it going to give birth to another in 9 month?

Looks great man! 8)

lol! Yeah this design is an homage to the band Queens of the Stone Age (it's the cover of one of their albums) and to my daughter as I first used this logo for an art project just prior to finding out my wife was pregnant...