News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thoughts on this Pedal?

Started by thetrend77, October 16, 2012, 07:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrend77

Has anyone ever tried the Emerson Em-Drive pedal? I found this picture online of the guts. Surely it can't be 2 caps, 2 resistors, and a tranny, can it?

From the clips I've heard, it sounds awesome! And a few people have claimed it kicked their Timmy off their board. Thoughts?

eldanko

Curious about this as well... these are creating quite the stir in some of the P&W circles...

Love the look of those big arse caps.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

midwayfair

Quote from: thetrend77 on October 16, 2012, 07:13:06 AM
Has anyone ever tried the Emerson Em-Drive pedal? I found this picture online of the guts. Surely it can't be 2 caps, 2 resistors, and a tranny, can it?

Sure it could ... input cap, output cap, impedance collector > base, minimum resistance to 9v, and the pots are output volume and the emiter > ground resistance. The traces even look like they'd back this up. Probably a Darlington transistor.

Ettore_M

+1! I think Jon is right. It looks like it.
By the way, I think there's a thread about it on FSB. If I remember well, they traced it already!
I didn't know it's that good! I'll try it and see..

EDIT: Here's the thread: www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18413&hilit=emerson+em+drive, but I was wrong about them tracing it. But I don't think they are not far from it.
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

thetrend77

Here's the page with clips. It's about halfway down the page: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1108024

Sounds great IMO

Bret608

I think this sounds really good too. Talk about simplicity if this really is the whole circuit!

What is up with the clear goo underneath the board? Is that really how they attached the board to the enclosure?

murdog47

thetrend77

Quote from: Bret608 on October 16, 2012, 11:42:16 AM
I think this sounds really good too. Talk about simplicity if this really is the whole circuit!

What is up with the clear goo underneath the board? Is that really how they attached the board to the enclosure?

Sure looks like it! Lol hot glue overload?

Bret608

I know, right? For a second I thought they had gooped certain components!  :D

gordo

One of the guitar players in the band I'm in bought one and it arrived as he was leaving town.  I got a chance to play with it for a few weeks.  It sounds as good as the demos...but so do most of the boosters we're building here.  Very transparent and a medium gain, it's relatively loud at max setting.  Has a bit of hiss but overall quite quiet.  I figured I'd at least let him use it before I started poking around inside it  ;D

His is a limited run of 12 and is sanded aluminum with black graphics.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

night-B

Less components = less noise in theory...