News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Totally Epic Klon Thread of Awesome About Swearing

Started by madbean, October 16, 2012, 09:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: DutchMF on October 22, 2012, 03:41:56 AM
Well, this thread went completely off the rails.... But in a very funny way! Loved that story, Raulduke!

Paul

Actually, this thread has become quite educational.  It took a nice turn.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Quote from: raulduke on October 22, 2012, 01:52:21 AM
Quote from: juansolo on October 21, 2012, 01:25:45 PM
Ah you'll have good teachers. Brits and Aussies are champion swearers. The Scots and Irish might be the best at it, but it's generally incomprehensible when they get going, especially when they've had a few.

I agree; the Aussies have taken their forebearer Brits love of swearing and have ran with it...

I remember one of my school teachers stories about Aussy humour:

He went to work over in Australia for a year, and popped down to the local pub for a pint.

He ordered his pint of lager, and the barman (with a totally straight face) pulled the pint, went into the kitchen and put the oven on, and put the pint in the oven for a few minutes.

He then removed it, gave it to my teacher, and said 'is that warm enough for you you pommy b*stard'.

My teacher laughed his arse off and after that him and the barman were best pals ha ha  ;D

heheehhe

This is now the best klon thread ever.

eldanko

Quote from: midwayfair on October 22, 2012, 05:51:57 AM

heheehhe

This is now the best klon thread ever.

Thoroughly agree.  As I was reading it, my wife wanted to know what I was chuckling about so I filled her in on the w*nker vs. b*gger vs. c*nt discussion.  She's now curious where "douche" fits on the spectrum.  :D
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

raulduke

I think Douche is one of your own from the US... and its a good one so thanks!

Everytime I hear that one, it just makes me think of SouthPark (they love it)  :D.

A Brit equal in terms of offense scale would probably be Tosser. There's another one for you  ;D.

Eg. 'That Justin Bieber is a right smug little tosser isn't he'.

juansolo

Yeah douche hasn't crossed the pond just yet, but we're exposed to it on such educational programmes as South Park and what have you.

There are other cultural ones that can catch out the American. A fanny in the US for example is your bottom. In the UK a fanny is, errm, a lady's front bottom and a (very, very mild) swear word in reference to it. Indeed we seem to have an awful lot of words for that... (a small selection - naughty hedgehogs - may offend...)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

juansolo

Oh dear god I ended up on TGP again, bored. I had no idea the Klon thread was that big! Based on that the guy has a captive, fawning, rabid, clueless market screaming for him to take their money and he's utterly failing to exploit it.

This though, was the icing on the cake as to why I cannot take the man seriously: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=12343113&postcount=756

I genuinely LOL'd at that. Really? 3 years to find someone to redesign your own circuit? Isn't this what the DIY community has been doing over and over again. The recent stand-outs being the diddy awesomeness of the Apis and the redesigned ass-kickery of the Kingslayer. If ever there was a successor to the Klon, it's this as it has tangible improvements. His answer: a stock powder coated box,  SMD (it's the future!) and a switchable buffer. Indeed I suspect a lot of it comes down to the fact that had he not pissed off the entire DIY community, he'd have had no problems whatsoever finding someone who could re-design his circuit for him.

Let's get back on to swearing. Much more interesting, and very relevant I feel. As that's what I end up doing at the monitor when I read TGP.

jubal81

Brits really do drink warm beer? I always thought that was made up just to annoy those buggars.  :P
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

Room temperature, from what I understand. Warm in comparison to other beer. Pers'n'lly I have got a refridgerator and am not afraid to use it.

One surprising American/British difference is teeth -- I take the British viewpoint that Americans smiling is CREEPY. Stop exposing your teeth to me. Pitbulls and tigers do that as a threat.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Ales are drank at room temp or there abouts and come from a wooden cask. If you ask for a beer in an British pub, this is what you'll get. They're usually pulled from proper hand pumps too. Any pub that carries good beer, will likely have a selection from their favoured local breweries. EDIT: here you go. As they say, the proper traditional British pub and local brewers are vanishing at an alarming rate. Shame.

If you want what everyone else calls beer, you need to ask the barman for a pint of lager. Usually fizzy, cold mass produced stuff, like pop. Viewed by beer drinkers as such. I like lager and have no issues with this, mainly because it's true.

Personally I prefer the Belgian stuff which is something completely different alltogether.

DutchMF

Juansolo scores! He is not only drinking one of the best Belgian beers available, but he also has the correct glass to drink it from! I visited the Westmalle brewery once (and some more breweries, it was a themed holiday...), it is still brewed by monks!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

somnabula

Ha, and Westvleteren is the Klon of Belgian beers
Good but overly hyped, because it is made in small amounts.

juansolo

It's one of those that I just really like the taste of. Not keen on the Trippel, but like the Dubel. I ain't a beer snob by any means, but I know what I like...  I also like the Klon to be fair ;) We were camping at the Spa Classic and just got a load of beers to try. That was my fave out of the selection.

I found a kriek I really like too from Oud Beersel - Oude Kriek. Can't get it here for love nor money and I have serious trouble finding it in Belgium. Got a selection once of Belgian beers and it was in there. Lovely stuff. Where all the other fruit beers tend to be sweet, this had a really morish sour bite to it. Wish I could get some more. I reckon I could do a crate of that stuff in one hit no problem. Tasty. This one: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oud-beersel-oude-kriek/10908/

Effectsiation

Not to continue the off-topicness, but I'm a huge Belgian Beer fan myself. My favorites that are easily available where I am are:

Gulden Draak
Rochefort 10
St. Bernardus 10
Delirium Nocturnum
Ommegang Abbey Ale
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Chimay Red
Malheur 12
Leffe
Palm

pickdropper

Is Samuel Smith consumed at all in the UK, or is that one of the exported UK beers that nobody in the UK drinks?

I drink it over here in the US and generally think it is wonderful (oatmeal stout especially), but I would assume it is much better over there.  Youngs is good from time to time as well.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: Effectsiation on October 23, 2012, 05:57:40 AM
Not to continue the off-topicness, but I'm a huge Belgian Beer fan myself. My favorites that are easily available where I am are:

Gulden Draak
Rochefort 10
St. Bernardus 10
Delirium Nocturnum
Ommegang Abbey Ale
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Chimay Red
Malheur 12
Leffe
Palm

Love Chimay and Three Philosophers.  Delerium has a good taste to it, but very unfiltered and a bit rough to drink at times.
Function f(x)