News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

cap sub question for sunking?

Started by eniacmike, November 23, 2010, 03:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eniacmike

I ordered a 27nF cap for c13 and accidentally got 10mm lead spacing, I can't really rig it up to fit because it's the short 5mm legs. I have 22nf and 33nf can I get away with a sub here? I am not sure what c13 does.

I am waiting on some other caps so I could probably just order the right caps but I was just checking.

stecykmi

Either of those will work no problem.

C13 seems to be a low pass filter, so a bigger value will filter off slightly high frequencies.

the difference between those values is so small, though, you probably can't tell the difference.

eniacmike

I had a feeling ordering parts for this thing that klon is just using weird values just to do it.

I actually cant find 27nF caps in 5mm lead pitch on mouser. small bear has some but I don't really want to wait a week or two.

stecykmi

on second thought it's probably actually a high pass filter. but again it won't make much of a difference.

eniacmike

which one is a better sub 22nF or 33nF

stecykmi

Actually, looking at it again, i think it's a low pass filter... it's a fairly complicated design so it's not particularly obvious what everything is to me...

in any case, looking at the formula for the cut-off frequency of a filter (formula is actually the same for low pass and high pass):

f = 1 / (2pi)RC

where R is the resistance and C is the capacitance. the topology of this filter is kind of complicated so it's harder to get R (it's actually the R that leads signal to ground or virtual ground), but the idea is that higher the value of C will make the cut-off frequency lower (because they're inversely related), so you'll get more upper-mids/high with the 22n. the value is pretty small so it will allow some pretty large frequencies to go through, probably on the order of 1.5kHz or so, it might be something like 1.2kHz for the 33n (which isn't really that different, you usually need to talk about orders of magnitude with capacitors to make much of a difference). these are just guesses without doing any analysis at all.

but there are so many filters in that thing. i really doubt changing one is going to make much of an audible difference anyway. i think the effect of C13 is diminished because it has R17 across it, too.

eniacmike

Luckily my local shop had 27nF caps... actually three different voltage ratings and 2 were 5mm spacing!

they are always out of stuff when I need it but they came through this time!

CRBMoA

I actually was pondering this EXACT question last night, as I was pulling from my stock for my own sunking build.

At the end of the day, 27 is 6 away from 33, but only 5 away from 22. HOWEVER, if you actually have an accurate capacitor tester, you might find, like I did, that that 33n cap tested closer to the prescribed value.

Also note that +10% variance from the BOM on a filtering cap for a complex circuit with truly unknown original clipping diodes will probably be a mute point. Your choice of clipping diodes will doubtless have a greater impact on the final tone than this cap.

But, I will put my money where my mouth is and socket this cap and try it both ways. I am inclined to believe the difference will audibly be nil. But I'll report back either way, so we all know.

eniacmike

I went with 1n34a. honestly I don't hear much clipping at all if there is any it is really mild. There is some sweet compression but I don't hear the clipping as much as I do in the ts9, neutrino, serendipity.

I am extremely happy about the sunking. I am skeptical of any hyped pedals and it looked like alot of work for a dirtbox but it really does sound excellent. I know there are alot of things from the orignal klon that you can't replicate like his dual gang pot is 1% tolerance or something and the unknown diodes but I think the sunking sounds awesome.

There is a guy in town that I know has a real klon so I am hoping to get my sunking over to him and hear a side by side.

madbean

Hmm, mine clips like a madman. In a good way, mind you...currently using BAT41's in mine.

Dammit, I'm going to do some soundclips of this thing so ya'll can compare. Time to fire up the Konnect. It's been off most of the year.

mjcyates

The more  I play mine the more I love it. It just does a certain something that none of my other overdrives do. Really hard to describe. Something in the mids and the clarity of it.

eniacmike

I guess that read the wrong way. mine does clip but I am not running the gain cranked (I thought  that was the way you are supposed to run these?)