News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fat Pants...even more bass?

Started by highway jones, November 25, 2010, 12:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway jones

.........Love the presence this thing adds!  While I have subbed in a few caps for C3 the increase in bass is subtle.  Is there a ceiling of diminishing returns for increasing C3?  Is there anything else I can do to add more bass while not compromising the other frequencies too much?  i would like to place this in my loop instead of using an EQ pedal (which I mainly use to juice the low end when playing at lower volumes.)

Thanks!

madbean

Make the 22n input cap into 100n :)

Or, remove C3 entirely.

mjcyates

Taking C3 out of the circuit sounds really good at least to me. I put C3 on a toggle switch so I can have both options. I prefer it out of the circuit but it is nice to have both options.

highway jones

Took C3 out and now it is much better for my application.  i just need to decide if i like it better in front or in the loop.

CK1

Good to know.  I may try removing it too.

stecykmi

seems like the gain of the circuit would go way down if you remove C3, no? I think it's probably better to use a really big value... it's connected to ground, so it's really easy to orient a big electrolytic, something like 1uF or more maybe.

highway jones

Quote from: stecykmi on November 25, 2010, 04:48:29 AM
seems like the gain of the circuit would go way down if you remove C3, no? I think it's probably better to use a really big value... it's connected to ground, so it's really easy to orient a big electrolytic, something like 1uF or more maybe.

I didn't really find that to be the case.  I'm using it more as an EQ shaper than a boost though.  Seems like it still has the potential to go way above unity volume.

mjcyates

I do not notice any difference in gain. With cap in it is brighter with cap out it is warmer. Similar to a Bright switch on an amp.