News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rangemaster PLUS

Started by pryde, October 18, 2012, 03:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Here is a rangemaster using a madbean pcb that was modded for a variable range knob instead of the input cap toggle. Makes the classic RM more versatile for different rigs, etc. I wanted it to retain some classic looks of the original. It has a PNP OC44 and uses a road rage for -9v power all tucked in there fairly neat  :).

I cut one trace and used a jumper on the pcb to put the 1uf input bass cap on board. Easy hack to do. The pedal is very quiet and sounds great throughout the entire range sweep. Definetely brings that unmistakable high-sparkle and sweatness into my setup.

On a side note, I luckily won timbo's "mojo" rangemaster in the recent auction here and am looking forward to checking out his awesome RM as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Haberdasher

Nice!
What color is that box, almond?  I like.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

timbo_93631

Looks good Jeff!  You are a lucky guy to have an OC44 and an OC71/CV7005 Rangemaster!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Bret608

I love this! I had wondered if it was possible to make this a knob rather than a switch.

pietro_moog

hi. somebody says that the cap divider thing is not a good solution for audio quality, even more before the first transistor. do you find any deterioration in sound? is the range pot smooth in the action?
did you try the rotary cap switch thing?
i wanna make a rangemaster myself, and a fuzz face. the cap thing would be very practical, i'm curious about this

midwayfair

Very nice build, Pryde. Should be fun to a/b those rare transistors! And that is some MASSIVE bottom end you must be getting with a 1uF cap. Turns into fuzz on that setting?

pryde

Thanks people.

Haberdasher: the box is almond powdercoat from mammoth.

Timbo: thanks man. I went from 0-2 rangemasters in a week's time. This is good  ;D

Midway: yes the 1uf is likely overkill but it is very usable up to 3/4 of the dial. Gets deep and fuzzy after that.

Pietro: No loss of sound or fidelity with this mod from my ears. With the range pot full CCW, it is using only the 5n (original) cap and then bleeds in the 1uf as you turn it CW. I did a lot of breadboarding before and noticed no difference in sound with or without the mod installed.

Here is what I did for reference. I will also post this in the mods section for others as needed.