News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trianglemuffinator (now has a sister)

Started by Rich_S, October 21, 2012, 04:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_S

My new build:

The prefinished textured black enclosure from Small Bear. The knobs came off an old Bell & Howell Model 34 oscilloscope, made by Heathkit for inclusion in a "Learn Electronics at Home" course.  Originally, the little black knobs wre mounted concentrically, on top of the red knobs, but finding concentric pots with shafts long enough is nigh on impossible these days. So, I separated the knobs, and topped off the red one with a penny from 1969, the year Eletro Harmonix introduced the Big Muff Pi.  

The combination of the textured enclosure and the old-school knobs (all of which I had squirreled away in the junk bin) inspired the steam-punkish theme, and pushed me to fabricate nameplates out of hobby-shop .025" copper plate.  I really need to get to the local Ace hardware and get a black nylon washer to replace that white one.

I'm working on a 2-knob version as well, which will house a Fuzzrite clone.

No report yet on how it sounds: I'm in enclosure-fab mode now.  Once the second pedal is done, I'll switch over to board-populating and wiring.
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

jkokura

Love.

Just a thought, you should try the 'penny vein' finish from PPP to go with that Penny on the knob... Then you could call it the pretty penny and play Stone Temple Pilots songs...

Wow. Random run on thought.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Haberdasher

great idea with the stamped copper and the hole markers.  i really like that look.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

icecycle66

I like the penny finish.

How do you guys affix the plates to the enclosures?

midwayfair

This is some amazing enclosure work ... just so well thought out and executed and really creative. Really thinking outside the box here.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on October 21, 2012, 06:46:11 PM
This is some amazing enclosure work ... just so well thought out and executed and really creative. Really thinking outside the box here.

Yeah, this is cool and unique.  It's always nice to see different ideas.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

The ever-increasing hole size for your knob markers is a stroke of genius.

raulduke

LOVE IT.

Really cool build dude.

I agree that it has a 'Steam Punk' look about it.

pickdropper

Speaking of Heathkit, I recently found out that the founder of the company, Ed Heath, died in a plane that he made out of a kit.  Seemed a bit ironic to me.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Rich_S

Quote from: icecycle66 on October 21, 2012, 05:55:17 PM
How do you guys affix the plates to the enclosures?

It's just held on with the pot nuts, but I spent a lot of time sanding the back of the plate flat after driiling, so it would sit flat on the enclosure. I thought about both epoxy and double-stick tape, but with all those holes, there's not much surface area that the adhesive wouldn't peek through.  We'll see how it holds up as-is...  

Quote from: lincolnic on October 21, 2012, 10:07:11 PM
The ever-increasing hole size for your knob markers is a stroke of genius.

I think the largest hole might have ended up a bit too big, but the steps were as small as I could do:  every 1/32" from 1/16" to 3/16".

I've sworn that I will never make a numbered legend plate for a pot, it's just too big a PITA.  Check out the "swooshes" I used on my amp:

eldanko

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

Rich_S

I finished the fab work on my second fuzz box today, so the Trianglemuffinator has a sister, the Fuzzrite-inator.  Now I can clean all the metal shavings of the workbench and make with the wiring and soldering.  Tone reports to come.

Yes, the pennies are all from the right years for each pedals' release:  1969 for the BMP and 1966 for the Fuzzrite. 

dbharris

Those are some might fine looking pedals!

morgcl

With enclosures like that you don't need gut shots. So pro. Inspired...

icecycle66