News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Going shopping.. any parts I should look for?

Started by AllenM, October 29, 2012, 01:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenM

Hey guys,
I will be stopping by an old surplus electronics shop tomorrow and was thinking maybe I should see if they have any hidden NoS or other gems for DiY pedal building. The store is family run (20+yrs) and does not sell on line. They do carry quite a bit of ICs and Trannys so what I was looking for were some part numbers to look for.. everytime I go I forget to check.

AllenM

culturejam

Be looking for BBDs: MN3005 or MN3205 or MN3208

Metal-can ICs are cool. And if you find tropical fish caps, grab as many as you can and then sell them to mojo-heads.  ;D

Also, vintage knobs are pretty awesome.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

icecycle66

If you find any massive bright green knobs that will fit on a standard 6mm shaft grab one for me.

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on October 29, 2012, 01:36:32 PM
Be looking for BBDs: MN3005 or MN3205 or MN3208

Metal-can ICs are cool. And if you find tropical fish caps, grab as many as you can and then sell them to mojo-heads.  ;D

Also, vintage knobs are pretty awesome.

+1 on all of these.  Particularly vintage knobs.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Stock up if they have some through-hole JFETs.

Oh, and buy all funky retro knobs.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

AllenM

I should note that I am still a noob so any part numbers or values would be a plus! Also I will take some pics of some of the bins and stuff I think look interesting for my return trip on Saturday. I am sneaking by there during a client call in the area but will return on Sat to spend more time picking thru everything.

AllenM