News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weber Princeton Reverb (not a bean)

Started by oldhousescott, October 23, 2012, 02:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhousescott

I bought the kit from Weber a couple of months ago when they were running their sale. I wanted something easier to transport, and that would take pedals well. Playing in church, I don't need a ton of volume, so a Princeton Reverb seemed about right. This one is the high-power version with 6L6s and a 12" speaker, and a slightly larger cab for more bottom. I put a master volume on the back so I can get a little preamp crunch at lower levels. I had my buddy with the vinyl cutter do the logo. OLDHOUSE is kind of my brand I suppose. Anyway, enough chat, here's the pics:

JakeFuzz

Friggin sweet amp build dude! I am jealous  :D  Great looking and the wiring is nice and neat. Is that oldschool cloth covered wiring. How did you make the faceplate? Great job man. You should definitely demo this one!

oldhousescott

Yep, cloth-covered push-back wire. I find it easy to work with. The faceplate comes pre-labeled for all of the controls. The area where the logo is located is blank as it comes from the vendor.

GrindCustoms

Looks terrific! And i also would love to hear it! :)

Cloth wire is really fun to work with, you did a great job on the wiring indeed.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

stecykmi

nice looking build! got any pics of the back panel/tube compliment?

how did you find the build? would you try another weber?

jkokura

That is precisely the amp I want to build.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

k.rock!

That is awesome Scott! I love it...how does it compare to an actual Princeton? Good move on adding a master ;)

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

madmac

Wow.  Great amp.  I bet it sounds great too.

midwayfair

A Fender with a master volume!  :o <3

Demo, please! :)

nzCdog

alanp

Pretty good! The metal films look neat, do they sound good in that circuit?

What are the spade lug connectors on the right? Is that what they are?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

That's awesome!

My kit amp is currently away having a head cab made for it. Can't wait to get it back.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

oldhousescott

The spade lugs are for the IEC power input socket and the accessory outlet. I hate trying to solder those lugs, I usually end up melting the connectors. The tube complement is standard PR except for the 6L6 output tubes. I used a 5U4GB rectifier to bring the B+ down a bit. It's sitting at about 410vdc. I'm using David Allen's over-sized OT.

As for how it sounds, well it sounds like a BF Fender to me. I find, to my ears, component values and speaker choice have a much greater impact on tone than mojo carbon-comp resistors or paper-in-oil capacitors. Heresy, I know. Speaking of speakers, I put a new Jensen Jet Falcon with the hemp cone in it. I'll have to wait until it really breaks in to know for sure, but so far I like it.

The Weber kit is nice. I think they've really upped their game since they first started. The switches are now Carling, and I believe the input jacks are now Neutrik. Whatever, they are heavy duty. The cabinet seems nicely done as well. No assembly instructions, but the schematic and layout are clear, and they have a forum for kit-building if you run into trouble.

raulduke

I love it dude.

Its beautiful (who doesn't love a blonde!)