News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lovelace Flange and NOD

Started by alanp, October 16, 2013, 06:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

The name? Well, who was the first computer programmer? It's also a nod to the layout :)

I had intended the enclosure for a Meatball/sphere build, but since the PCB's still aren't in stock... heck with it. Hammond 500-0930, I think.

Had it at this stage for a few weeks. My uncle had an old Dick Smith oscilloscope I could use... that went up to 100kHz, and had NO measurement ability AT ALL, dating to the early 80s.

So I had to wait for my NOD. New Oscilloscope Day.

Someone give me a "Hell freaking YES!"

Not that it went without a fight, mind you. I had to try several timing cap values, and even then it was a bear of a thing to dial in.

And it still has a TC1044SCPA chip in it, not a LT1054 as designed. (If someone can flick me one, I'd appreciate it. Mouser is the only place I know of to get it, and they seem to charge thirty dollars shipping, every bloody time.) I'm pretty sure that's why it whines, a bit -- the board does not have pins 1 and 8 connected, since it's designed for the LT1054. I might solder a small switch in on the perf area.

Sounds good, though. Need to play with it some more to get a better feel for what it can do. 'Feels' like a better pure flanger than the Lovetone, but that's a first reaction, needs more evidence.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

What a monster build! Awesome... I have a LT 1054 that I can send you, I'm in Godzone Kiwiana too, so I'll PM you.
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

On the NZ Guitars forum, one guy congratulated me on the new 'scope, and the next guy commented that he thought it was a Kemper Profiling Amp!

PM'ed back :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

LaceSensor

Nice build. I like those cases.
I found that the prescribed clock cap was wrong, id have to open mine up to see what I used.  Be interesting to see if you ended up at the same value. I think the clock cap was still spec'd for the SAD BBD, so it was either double or half what it needed to be for the MN3007

I think with more evidence you will find that as a pure flanger sound the ADA kicks the Lovetones butt, however, it is a very different animal and the lovetone does some stuff the ADA can only dream of.

ps you need some PCB stand offs ;)
You can buy plastic stick on ones that work great.

alanp

I used 20pF, from memory. I tried 100pF (didn't have 80), way too much. 39pF kicked into 3MHz territory.

I keep meaning to look for plastic standoffs, I just don't seem to remember to drop into Mitre 10 to get some. (The garden and house hardware section in the supermarket don't have them.) So blu-tack it is for now.

And as for the Lovetone... it's going to be no great hardship to find out the exact differences :) (I'm still amazed at how freaking good my ?Flange sounds, considering it has a BL3207 chip in it, not an original MN3207.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

moosapotamus

Congrats, Alan! Lookin good.

39p for the clock cap has always worked fine for me. Yes, it allows higher freq to be achieved than is necessary or even useful, but it still gets down into the 60kHz region, too. Once I get it trimmed close to the factory spec numbers, I turn off my meter and trim it to where the hi/lo freq points just sound good to me. I trust my ears more than my meter.

I used to have an original ?Flange, but I sold it after I built the ADA. ~8o

~ Charlie
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."