News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Latest stuff from me

Started by jkokura, October 25, 2012, 12:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

My goodness.

What I would *love* is to see a 4x BL3208 delay project (running at 9v, of course). It would be a Memory Toy Carbon Copy killer.

Nice work, bro. That's very impressive.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

Maybe you could share the difference between an MN3008 and a BL3208? I think the filtering on this is adequate for the MN3008s, but I don't know if the BL3208's need to be treated differently.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

The Belling (BL) chips are the small 8-pin DIP package version of the MN3208. They are otherwise just like the MN version (same voltage requirements, etc). And they sound *way* better than the V3205.

So you can get decent delay time with a smaller footprint (and better tone to boot).

I think you could adapt your existing circuit the BL chips very easily. The pin connections are different, and you can drop the charge pump and all that. But the foundation of the circuit is there.

I'd buy several of those if they existed. I'm too damn lazy to draw up the circuit.   ;D

Scruffie

I don't think Smallbear actually carry the 8-Pin DIP version of the 3208 anymore, which is annoying... probably would if asked though. They still have the 14-Pin DIP version though so you wouldn't even need to change the layout very much.

Yeah it's pretty simple to adapt the circuit, swap the power connections on the BBDs & Clock, adjust the compander resistors, done.

You could keep the charge pump if you really wanted for higher headroom filtering but it's not entirely necessary, people were happy with 9V DM-2s for years. Plus without that you have extra room for modulation if you wanted it.

Possibly add a shunt zener regulator, not sure if the 3208s react differently to 3205s regards S/N vs voltage etc. would need to check out the data sheet.
Works at Lectric-FX

culturejam

I think Mammoth has the small DIP. I can email Blake and ask.

You can also get the small version (BL3208A) on ebay for pretty cheap.

Hangingmonkey

Cool, just expressing interest.  So just out of curiosity, what would happen if I used 4 3005's (not that I have 4), would that increase the max delay time to 1.2s?

jimilee

I love me some delay candy!!!!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on March 19, 2013, 01:44:18 PM
Cool, just expressing interest.  So just out of curiosity, what would happen if I used 4 3005's (not that I have 4), would that increase the max delay time to 1.2s?
It would, MN3101 isn't the best to drive that many BBDs but I think that'd be safe.
Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

I've been a babbling moron just setting the trim on phasers, the MXR Flanger clone and the Electric Mistress.  I'd need to be hospitalized after setting up that puppy!  Nice work!

It's like getting your eyes examined with my phaser exploits.  This one or this one? OK at fast speed: this one or this one.  Now slow: this one or this one?  AUGGHGHGHG!!!!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Awesome work Jacob! I'd be in for a pcb if you do a run!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

juansolo

Quote from: culturejam on March 19, 2013, 10:24:18 AM
My goodness.

What I would *love* is to see a 4x BL3208 delay project (running at 9v, of course). It would be a Memory Toy Carbon Copy killer.

Totally with you on this. I've done with MN300n based delays. The ABDLX is my last (built, rocked, not boxed as yet). But I'll definitely do a BL3028 based one.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Quote from: juansolo on April 26, 2013, 12:48:22 AM
Quote from: culturejam on March 19, 2013, 10:24:18 AM
My goodness.

Totally with you on this. I've done with MN300n based delays. The ABDLX is my last (built, rocked, not boxed as yet). But I'll definitely do a BL3028 based one.

I was searching on BL3208 and came across this.. thought it looked interesting.. to say the least.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx33hml/dx33hml_50b_echo_bd.htm

Looks like a "echo unit" for CB radios. lol

Stomptown

Dude! That layout is beastly. :o  Nicely done...