News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shipping

Started by alanp, November 08, 2012, 08:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I had to laugh when I placed an order with PPP the other day. A message comes up that you can use the cheaper shipping if you want, but it takes a month or more, like the proverbial slow boat to China. They recommend you use the shipping that costs about three times as much, but gets there in 2-4 days. (I ordered some PCB mount stuff from them that SB is constantly out of stock on.)

Smallbear, shipping costs the same for every option. Every one costs the same -- USPS, International Air, USPS With Extra Things I Can't Remember, all about $44 on my last order. I honestly can't remember the difference, so went with Int'l Air, on the basis that my mail is delivered by NZ Posties on bicycles, not USPS marching along like Australian swagmen. It never gets to me in a hurry, I know that.

Tayda, OTOH, I always go with the cheapest shipping on the basis that Tayda shipping always gets to me before anything else, typically, no matter what I pick. Tayda rock.

So, how's shipping stack up for you on these 3?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GermanCdn

I'm in Canada, and the costs from small bear are brutal.  I've had guitars shipped from Florida for less than what I pay on a small SB order, which is why I buy all I can from Tayda .  An 18" X 18" X 8" box from Tayda with 20 enclosures and thousands of parts - $18.  A 6" X 6" X 6" box from SB with a pound of solder and less than a hundred small parts - $37.  Ordered on the same day, Tayda gets here faster.

As far as PPP goes, they're quoted rates are always high, but in fairness, you almost always get a refund of $8 - $12 when the final costs are in.  And they're enclosures are hands down the best.

Mammoth shipping to Canada is not bad on a cost basis, but they ship UPS which means I get hit with a $30 brokerage charge when it crosses the border (on a $120 order), so it's not cost effective to buy from them.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

BraindeadAudio

0 problems with pricing for shipping on over 60 1590BB cases from PPP, it was like 10$ and got here in a little under 9 days.

Small bear same thing, have placed close to 1500$ orders on SB and ended up with my parts in under a week with 15$ max shipping.

Im in Austin TX if that matters.