News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mini-taur (JimmyBJJ's Apis)

Started by pickdropper, November 03, 2012, 08:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I finally had to chance to put together this cool little Klon that Jim sent me.  I reused an existing 1590A that I had drilled for a shorter board.  As such, the board sits a bit higher than I would like.  I may put it in something else (but probably not).

This is what I had to do to make it fit.  But at this point, I was already committed.

Cool project.  congrats to Jim for making the Klon circuit fit in a 1590A.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Looks awesome Dave! ;)

How deep did you had to route the enclosure lid?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

pickdropper

Quote from: GrindCustoms on November 03, 2012, 08:09:26 AM
Looks awesome Dave! ;)

How deep did you had to route the enclosure lid?

It is *slightly* deeper, but it didn't really have to be.  The fit required bringing the side walls even with the bottom as the larger caps were interfering.  I could've milled it deeper and still had plenty of thickness to the aluminum, but I decided to stop there.
Function f(x)

jubal81

Another masterpiece. I love the all-aluminum industrial look. Would it be hard to laser the tops of the knobs?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimmybjj

Absolutely stunning. Without a double you are one of my favorite builders! What kind of tool did you use to "route" that lid?
Pcbs no longer available

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on November 03, 2012, 08:30:17 AM
Another masterpiece. I love the all-aluminum industrial look. Would it be hard to laser the tops of the knobs?

THe knobs probably could be marked if I made a very precise fixture to hold them in place.  It probably would only look good with knobs that had flat aluminum on the top, ie:  no spiral pattern.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: jimmybjj on November 03, 2012, 09:01:18 AM
Absolutely stunning. Without a double you are one of my favorite builders! What kind of tool did you use to "route" that lid?

Thanks Jim, and thanks again for the board.

For the lid routing, I used an old Bridgeport mill at work.  I'd love to have one of these at home, but I think it weighs a couple of tons, so I'd have to put it in the front yard.  :-)
Function f(x)

midwayfair

Nice job! Polished aluminum is a good look with the etching. I really like how you did the labeling, too.

pickdropper

Well, I didn't really like it with the board mounted higher, so I took it apart, sanded the DC socket hole and remounted the DC socket lower.  I hid the oblong hole with a SS washer, which actually looks kind of cool, IMHO.

This PCB is a bit thinner than the standard 1.6mm FR4 PCBs, so I really feel more comfortable with it mounted flat to the top of the 1/4" sockets.

It was probably fine, but I decided to err on the side of caution.
Function f(x)

masterlk

Love it! I ordered that board but was planning on putting it in a bigger enclosure....but now...not so sure.

wolfingsworth

Bravo! Way to make it work despite the difficulty. Are you a machinist? You've got some sweet resources at your job for what we like to do in our spare time:)

pickdropper

Quote from: wolfingsworth on November 03, 2012, 06:35:48 PM
Bravo! Way to make it work despite the difficulty. Are you a machinist? You've got some sweet resources at your job for what we like to do in our spare time:)

I am definitely no machinist.  Frankly, most of the time I use the mill as a glorified drill press.
Function f(x)

nzCdog

Love it!  I'm a fan of your builds  8)

fish22

Hi, my name is Wyatt.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk