News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

One day Ill give it a shot

Started by Pvt. Parts, November 02, 2012, 06:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pvt. Parts

So I was just looking around the internet and this blowed my mind...!!!
I have worked with epoxy and stuff like that, so I find this really intresting... but ill give it a shot as soon I have more experience, money, skills and tools.

http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.sg/2012/04/audio-crystal-cmoy-freeform-headphone.html
"Do what you can with what you have where you are" T. Roosevelt

Om_Audio

Sent via soup cans and string.

icecycle66

That is a whole new level of awesome.

night-B

Had this idea recently, this guy has mastered the process on first try!

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Bluestrat

Wow, that is as cool as it gets! A work of art  :o

pickdropper

I remember a few years ago when I first saw this.

First of all, there are many things that are VERY impressive about this.  It is absolutely beautiful to look at.   I am very impressed that he was able to cast it in epoxy and end up with so few bubbles.  Usually, if you don't cast without evacuating the bubbles in a vacuum chamber, you end up with some residual bubbles trapped in the casting.  Usually the best approach is to mix, evacuate, pour, then evacuate the cast again (obviously this won't work with 5 minute epoxy).  He also did a fantastic job sanding and polishing it.  And his point-to-point wiring is insanely well done and beautiful to look at.

But I actually believe this is more functional art than good engineering.  I've built CMOYs before, and while they don't generate a ton of heat, encapsulation is generally not a good idea for amplifier circuits.  As he mentioned, there is no serviceability to this, and those cheap 3.5mm sockets are not exactly known for their reliability.  He did do a very good job of sealing them prior to full encapsulation.

So, I think it's very cool, as long as one knows they are creating a piece of disposable electronics.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper