News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cherry bomb 200pf

Started by Stig, November 04, 2012, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stig

Hi there.
I been lurking at the cherry bomb and think I'm gonna build one.

But I can't seem to find the 200pf (c4) anywhere.
Could I for a solution teepee two 100pf's together? Either silver micas or ceramics, where's the difference, if any, between the two?

Best,
Stig

pickdropper

You may already know this, but for caps, you have to put them in parallel to add the capacitance.  And yes, that would work fine putting two 100pF in parallel with each other.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

DutchMF

Teepee-ing won't work. Capacitors work the other way around from resistors, you have to put two 100pF's in parallel to be able to add up their value. This link [url][http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc//url] offers some info on how the two differ. If you want, I can send you a 200pF one, but 2 100pF's in parallel should work fine.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Haberdasher

hi stig

you can use a bigger cap for that value without affecting the sound much.  I think I used a 330pf or 470pf in mine.

but as the others have said if you use 2x100pf's to get 200pf, you'll need to solder them in parallel.

I can't tell much difference between ceramic/multilayer ceramic and silver mica.  the silver mica cost more...

I usually use the multilayer ceramic aka monolithic caps
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Stig

Ok guys.

I think I'm gonna go with a higher value.

Just for future reference, parallel is when you put two legs in one hole. Right? As opposed to put them after each other when teepee'ing.

Regarding the sonic difference in silvers and the ceramics, I sort of knew it. Just wanted to make shure and ask some who know something about it.

Thanks a bunch.

DutchMF

I'll draw up something to explain series and parallel tonight when I get home from work, but I'm sure there's some stuff on Wikipedia that does the same, so you could take a look there.

Paul

Stig

Hi Paul.

I did try to look it up on the interweb, but the results are a lot of mathematical calculations. Not my strong side ???

The thing Im looking for is the practical execution. The math is much too complex for one that barely passed math in school ;)

But thanks man.

Stig

Btw Paul.

I just saw that you were offering to send a 200pf. Thanks.  :) Guess I read a bit too fast at times.
But ill try something different. I have two 100 pfs at home.

It would either be the parallel thing, if its not too complex, or Ill just use another value.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Stig on November 04, 2012, 10:11:59 PM
Ok guys.

I think I'm gonna go with a higher value.

Just for future reference, parallel is when you put two legs in one hole. Right? As opposed to put them after each other when teepee'ing.

Regarding the sonic difference in silvers and the ceramics, I sort of knew it. Just wanted to make shure and ask some who know something about it.

Thanks a bunch.

Yep, 2 in one, or the few times I've done caps, I usually wrap one leg of the cap around the other leg and drop one leg in the hole. Whatever works for you.

One thing I thought I would mention, in the 'parts jar' section when you are looking for a particular part jump in there and ask. People will be happy to send you a part as it is what it is for. It all comes around and we all pay it forward.
John

DutchMF

Quote from: Stig on November 05, 2012, 01:29:59 AM
Btw Paul.

I just saw that you were offering to send a 200pf. Thanks.  :) Guess I read a bit too fast at times.
But ill try something different. I have two 100 pfs at home.

It would either be the parallel thing, if its not too complex, or Ill just use another value.

Sorry man, I totally forgot about this.... I'll try to find some time this weekend to clarify the series/parallel thing if you haven't found the info you're looking for!

Paul

Stig

Hey guys.
Thanks for your help. I have learned a bunch just by reading and snooping around here, before posting anything. This is indeed a great place to hang.

Paul what I really needed to know was how to do it in practice and learned how to do it. So no need to use your weekend-beer-time to make sketches and explanations;-) but thanks for the offer though.

DutchMF

Good to hear you got it worked out!

Paul