Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Black textured enclosures?

Started by Rich_S, November 05, 2012, 12:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_S

Take a look at the enclosures I used here:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6694.0

I love the old-school look of the black textured paint.  These two enclosures came from MAdBean, but they were a close-out and he doesn't carry them any more.  Does anybody know where I can get pre-finished enclosures in black texture, in the 125-B or normal B and BB sizes?
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

pickdropper

I've gotten enclosures like that from Mammoth.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Haberdasher

I think PPP has black wrinkle too.

The DIY alternative that looks really cool is to use a rattle can of vht wrinkle plus from autozone.  It's the kind of thing you see valve covers sprayed with sometimes.  You put 3 pretty thick coats about a minute apart.  One coat accross, another at 90 deg from that and another diagonally.  Then I think you wait a few minutes and hit it lightly with a heat gun and watch it wrinkle.  It takes quite a while to dry afterwards, I think I might have speed cured it in a toaster oven but I can't remember exactly now.  Anyway, follow the directions on the can to a tee but the secret is to hit it with a heat gun afterwards to get the mad wrinkle happening.  Anyway, experiment!

Here's the bottom plate of an enclosure I did a while back
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Chi_Boy

PPP does have black wrinkle.  Looks really nice in person.

Never had luck with the spray can stuff.  Didn't know about the heat gun though.  Have to remember that.

pickdropper

Quote from: Haberdasher on November 05, 2012, 01:35:36 AM
I think PPP has black wrinkle too.

The DIY alternative that looks really cool is to use a rattle can of vht wrinkle plus from autozone.  It's the kind of thing you see valve covers sprayed with sometimes.  You put 3 pretty thick coats about a minute apart.  One coat accross, another at 90 deg from that and another diagonally.  Then I think you wait a few minutes and hit it lightly with a heat gun and watch it wrinkle.  It takes quite a while to dry afterwards, I think I might have speed cured it in a toaster oven but I can't remember exactly now.  Anyway, follow the directions on the can to a tee but the secret is to hit it with a heat gun afterwards to get the mad wrinkle happening.  Anyway, experiment!

Here's the bottom plate of an enclosure I did a while back

That looks killer.  I hate painting, but may have to give that one a shot.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

The stock hammond black are what I prefer.  I buy them at mouser.

I wish you could buy them at PPP.  The wrinkle finish is different.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

Quote from: Chi_Boy on November 05, 2012, 05:35:03 AM
PPP does have black wrinkle.  Looks really nice in person.

Never had luck with the spray can stuff.  Didn't know about the heat gun though.  Have to remember that.
yeah, I did another bottom plate before that one that I just popped in the oven and it didn't work out.  the heat gun on low setting is def the key.

Quote from: pickdropper on November 05, 2012, 02:03:28 PMThat looks killer.  I hate painting, but may have to give that one a shot.
I hate painting too.  But every once in a while this is worth doing if you're going after that look.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

DutchMF

Quote from: gtr2 on November 05, 2012, 02:13:25 PM
The stock hammond black are what I prefer.  I buy them at mouser.

I wish you could buy them at PPP.  The wrinkle finish is different.

Josh

These are what I use as well, looking really classy! Here http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6774.0 are some examples.
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jeffaroo

just go to walmart and buy a bunch of non-stock rattle cans in assorted colors. spray it left to right, and right to left. then up and down, and down and up. then throw it in the air and spray it a few other times. shoot it with a shotgun and slap some stickers on it and let the dog chew on it for a day
to cure the paint, put it in the sun for 37.5 minutes then 4 min with a heat gun.
shoot it with 3 coats of clear and 45 min in the microwave
add a chiquita bannana sticker and one more coat of clear
4 min in the toaster oven next to a slice of pizza
and you got a one of a kind original !    :)

(in all reality, i want to try truck bed spray)
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Stig