Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Klon - Gut Shot

Started by culturejam, November 04, 2012, 06:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Just saw this at TGP:

I dig those standoffs.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

My Tayda 1n34a's look EXACTLY like those.

Hmmm...

Other than the germs, that looks like it was made in China, not by some spiritual guitar pedal version successor to Ken Fischer.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

We've tried all sorts in them. As far as my ears can tell, as long and they're germs and they're about the right forward voltage, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what they are or where you get them... ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

Nothing wrong with SMD.... but I feel there is something wrong with charging people $200 ++ for an SMD build. I imagine the markup he has put on these is ridiculous.

'These are essential'; I have to say thats kind of funny (even funnier if it wasn't intended as a joke)!

Bluestrat

Just saw one of these on e-bay. Seller is asking $1000!!! I'm not sure there is a pedal anywhere worth that.

pickdropper

Quote from: Bluestrat on November 05, 2012, 04:58:37 AM
Just saw one of these on e-bay. Seller is asking $1000!!! I'm not sure there is a pedal anywhere worth that.

Yeah, that's just cashing in on new release hype.  I doubt it sells, though.

The SMD thing doesn't bother me at all.  I am curious how folks at TGP will receive it, though.  Things seem to be a bit more mojo focused there.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

The single ganged pots appear to have four pins rather than three. I'm curious about the dual ganged too since it looks like it's a 9mm Alpha but with all the pins in line.

Haberdasher

They should have called it the Klon Keebler, because it's full of oven baked goodness, with just a drop of fresh squozen elf magic.

These things are like $300, or what?  I have half a mind to buy one just to hear it.  My guess is it's nothing special.  I suppose I could probably get my $ back out of it later.  I dunno.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Quote from: Haberdasher on November 05, 2012, 05:39:32 AM
They should have called it the Klon Keebler, because it's full of oven baked goodness, with just a drop of fresh squozen elf magic.

These things are like $300, or what?  I have half a mind to buy one just to hear it.  My guess is it's nothing special.  I suppose I could probably get my $ back out of it later.  I dunno.

It's funny you mention that.  Years ago, on the Les Paul Forum, there was a famous building who was making some more historically accurate Les Paul Replicas.  Since they had the Gibson logo on them, the builder's name was not released.  At one point, one of the owners referred to it as a "Keebler" and the name stuck.  They were supposed to be great guitars and the Keebler Les Pauls were quite valuable for a while there.  Not sure about now...
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: raulduke on November 05, 2012, 01:57:38 AM
Nothing wrong with SMD.... but I feel there is something wrong with charging people $200 ++ for an SMD build. I imagine the markup he has put on these is ridiculous.

I don't see any issues with the pricing (which is $279, I think). Normally I might, but the Klon is a special case. If you *know* that a whole scad of devoted idiots are begging to pay big bucks, it is your obligation not to let them down. If he charged $150 for it, people would complain it lost its mojo.

If the build quality was shit, I'd be more inclined to think the pricing was foul. But it looks like a very well engineered pedal on the inside.

Quote from: alanp on November 04, 2012, 08:56:15 PM
My Tayda 1n34a's look EXACTLY like those.

A lot of germanium diodes look exactly like that. I have some 1N120s that look just like those, and some older 1N60s that look really similar. I don't think there was a definitive standard on the package decoration on germanium, so you might get very different looks for the same part number.

In other words, I wouldn't read too much into the look of those diodes. They could be any of a dozen or more specific part numbers. And honestly, I don't think it much matters anyway.  :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

DutchMF

Did anyone spot the date on the pcb? 2010?!#$ This would mean he's been sitting on this for at least two years, in which he could have sold several thousands of pedals, and then make himself ridiculous with those lines of text on it....... Somebody get him a copy of "Marketing for dummies", quick!!!  ;)

Paul   
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

masterlk

If this is SMD from China, expect a rip off version shortly...for cheap. If he thought the DIY community did him wrong before...the violation that is about to take place will make what happened previously pale in comparison.

jubal81

Quote from: masterlk on November 05, 2012, 08:49:47 AM
If this is SMD from China, expect a rip off version shortly...for cheap. If he thought the DIY community did him wrong before...the violation that is about to take place will make what happened previously pale in comparison.

Yes indeed. The $30 Joyo is coming very soon, especially if they've had this for years. That might be part of the reason for that ridiculous text and lack of goop. He knows it's 99% about marketing to TGP.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

icecycle66

If there is something on the board that is not essential, why not get rid of it?

Also essential, in and out jacks.