News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I've killed my angry wife, what should I do now?

Started by Hangingmonkey, November 05, 2012, 01:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangingmonkey

I was testing out a collosalus on the weekend and just finished biasing it and was getting some flanging noise with no guitar signal...

and so I read in the build docs that some of the noise can be fixed by running it thru 12v, so i adjusted my power source to 12v.
Unfortunately, I forgot that the power was also daisy chaining my angry wife (2 channel boneyard with a buffer) and I think the higher voltage killed it.  I heard a high pitched squeal from the pedal.   :'( :'( :'(
On a more positive note, the noise issue with the collosalus is fixed.

Im surprised that the 12v killed it, thought it would just give more headroom.  Would the TC1044SCPA have pumped the 12v to something high enough to kill it?  I guess I'll have to get the audio probe out and see whats died...

Guitarmageddon

I think this is the wrong forum, but the title is funny enough for me to forgive it. ;D
12v would be doubled to close to 24v which would easily blow an low volt electro, diode and some opamps. Check them first.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Hangingmonkey

Ah, so the 1044 doubles the voltage.  Thanks, ill check on those areas.

Oops just realised I posted this in the build reports section instead of the tech help.  Perhaps the mods could move it there?

Hangingmonkey

Fixed it. All it was was the 9.1v zener. It started smoking from there when i powered it and got hot enough to reflow the solder.

Anyway, changed it and it works fine now.

spaceboss

I like that your angry wife had a voltage overload and started smoking before blowing a diode.

Happens with mine all the time. I think they're all like that.

DutchMF

Quote from: spaceboss on November 26, 2012, 09:30:11 AM
I like that your angry wife had a voltage overload and started smoking before blowing a diode.

Started blowing what? reason for divorce....
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"