News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

So I finally did it.....

Started by Boom, November 29, 2010, 02:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boom

...perform in front of an audience, that is !

Although that might not mean much to others, it was a major personal victory for me. This was one of those things that I thought I would never be able to do, because it scared me so much.

I was more scared of this than my first solo flight, getting married, or having kids !

It was two nights, about 130 people each night in the audience, and set up real nice.
It was sort off a recital where a number of students get to play a song with or without a professional band (drum, bass, backing guitar, singer). The setup was amazing. Lights, sound engineers, the lot...

I performed Yellow Ledbetter, and although I messed up a little bit on the break (exact same point each night  :-[), it came over really well. Afterwards I was told nobody really heard the f*ck up. Which I can hardly imagine, but okay.

The strangest thing was that all stress and nervousness seemed to disappear when I played my first note.

Now that it´s over, I must say I kind of like it. Me want more !!

Oh, and a madbean pedal was used as well. Not by me but my guitar teacher used a serendipity that I built for him on a couple of songs.

CK1

Congrats!  Performing live is one of the great things about being a musician, so I'm glad you were able to push through your fears and do it.

eniacmike

That sounds like a great first show experience.

I know the feeling of being addicted to performing. If a week goes by and I don't perform I start to feel empty.

jkokura

Congratulations! If you ever come to Vancouver Island in Canada to play, let me know and I'll come watch!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aziltz

awesome!  I hope you get hooked!  I'm starting to get back into performing, both with a band and solo after a 2 year hiatus.

gtr2

Rock on!  I love yellow ledbetter.  Most of the time people never "hear' the goofs we know were there.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Boom

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Much appreciated.
I definitely hope to do this more often, although my repertoire is limited to about 5 complete songs at the moment...

Quote from: jkokura on November 29, 2010, 01:03:49 PM
Congratulations! If you ever come to Vancouver Island in Canada to play, let me know and I'll come watch!

Jacob

That may be sooner than you think ! I most probably will be there in January or February. My wife has family in Port Alberni, and we´ll be visiting because my wife´s cousins and uncle haven´t seen our kids yet.

I love Vancouver Island. We went there shortly after I met my wife and stayed for 4 weeks over Christmas 2005. 26 days of rain and 1 day of snow, but it was still the best vacation ever. (before I met my wife I used to fly to Hawaii to go surfing every year and thought nothing could top that.)

I have tons of pictures and memories. We rented a 4x4 and went hiking and camping out all over the island. Tofino, Port Renfrew, Nanaimo, Victoria, Half moon bay....Now that you got me thinking about it, I notice how thrilled I am to be going back there soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jkokura

Super! I'm in Chemainus, south of Nanaimo and north of Duncan. If you're passing through, let me know and I'll buy you coffee. If the family's with you, I'll understand if you can't, but if you have some time I can even show you my work space and 'talk shop' with you if you'd like! Got gobs of cool pedals and parts around here...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Boom

Chemainus. Nice ! We've been throught there as well.

I might just have to take you up on that offer Jacob, thanks. I'll let you know as soon as we have a fixed plan.

Oh, and don't worry about the family. My wife loves to hear about pedal stuff, my little daughter (2) goes wild as long as you play some Hendrix or White Stripes to her, and my boy...well he's just 4 months old, he has no choice.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

jkokura

Fantastic! My wife and I have a 14 month old, and she loves to play with my pedals when I'm not looking. It can make for some strange settings on the POG, but that's life!

We'll host you for dinner if you'd be amiable.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Boom

Great ! A POG set randomly, must be interesting !

Dinner would be nice. But we wouldn´t want to be intruding...

loves_guitar

Yeah for B.C. (though I'm a Lower Mainlander!)  :)

jkokura

Quote from: Boom on December 03, 2010, 12:46:13 PM

Well... I haven't asked the wife yet but, there'd be no intruding as far as I can see. I think it'd be fun!

If anyone else heads to Vancouver Island, consider the same offer open to them too! As long as we're here that is...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

tonedeaf

Quote from: Boom on December 03, 2010, 12:46:13 PM

Is a POG ever not set randomly?   ;D

This is awesome btw, meeting up with people you never otherwise would have crossed paths with except for a forum dedicated to a hobby on the internet.