News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Beehive (1590A Honey Bee) & Clementine 2 (Cupcake with "perfect" bias knob)

Started by midwayfair, November 06, 2012, 07:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Continued boxing up some circuits that have been sitting around for a while.

Beehive, a Honey Bee on perfboard in a 1590A. Hard clippers are asymmetric, an OA126 and an OA1160 (2:1 clipping ratio). I didn't do that for any particular reason, it's just what I felt like throwing in there and because I prefer asymmetric clipping in most overdrives, especially the ones that are meant to imitate amps. I've had this one sitting around for well over a month now and just hadn't had an overwhelming desire to box it up.

With a Balmer reference, hon. Now let's all go watch Hairspray. The original, not the crappy new version. Or better yet, let's watch Pink Flamingos.

Clementine 2, the Cupcake board I made a while back (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5835.0) with an "ideal" bias knob (~700 Ohms in series with a trim pot) like the Hartman compressor. The internal trim is set so that the highest setting on the external bias is juuuust below the cutoff. The midpoint on the external knob then becomes what I generally set as the "correct" bias in a fixed bias version, where the volume knob on 11:00 or 12:00 is unity gain. Lower bias settings are more of a booster, with the lowest possible bias setting being just above the point where the circuit makes noise. Variations in the 2N5457s aren't relevant -- none will exceed the proper biasing range as long as it's set up this way. No other fiddling in this one, so stock hold cap and decay and all that.

I was really happy with the art on this one; the lettering came out really well. The gradiation between the orange and white on the edges worked right this time, too. (Pays to take my time and, um, actually tape off the parts I don't want to paint over.)

My naughty Nautilus is drying as I type. I'll post that one tomorrow. :)

nzCdog

Awesome.  I really like the Clementine paintwork and the beehive is an epic 1590a cram! 8)

MattOcaster

Talk about a 1590a production line!
Every time I check here you've done a new pedal :)
How many are you on?
You should do a group shot!
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

njkke

midwayfair

Thanks, guys. :)

Quote from: MattOcaster on November 07, 2012, 12:54:00 AM
How many are you on?
You should do a group shot!

I think 60 total now ... yes, I have a bit of a problem, but the 1590As are SO SMALL so they don't take up much room in the house. I should do another group shot, I did one a little while ago.

jimmybjj

Great job. I like the beehive :) do you have a list of all the 1590a's you have built, just out of curiosity.
Pcbs no longer available

Geosh

Yes, you should take a group shot! Then I could show my wife and hopefully make her feel better about the 4 or 5 on my workbench  :D

midwayfair

Quote from: jimmybjj on November 07, 2012, 07:32:53 AM
do you have a list of all the 1590a's you have built, just out of curiosity.

Well, they're all on my website, even the ones I don't own any more. :)
jonpattonmusic.com/things-i-make/