News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus. With fishes.

Started by midwayfair, November 07, 2012, 06:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Has anyone compared the Nautilius to the Lovetone Meatball, or the MusicPCB Meatsphere?
Bean has both maybe he will chime in.
I understood the Meatball was originally based on the Mutron / Q tron...

chordball

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 18, 2012, 04:29:08 PM
Has anyone compared the Nautilius to the Lovetone Meatball, or the MusicPCB Meatsphere?
Bean has both maybe he will chime in.
I understood the Meatball was originally based on the Mutron / Q tron...

Hopefully I will be able to tell you by the end of the week. I've built the Meatsphere and am waiting on pots and vactrols to finish up my Nautilus.

And Jon, your build looks great! I have a translucent teal enclosure here, but it's for my aquaboy. Definitely a beautiful finish.

claytushaywood

id like to hear some sound clips of this.  I'm sad to hear that the LP down mode is difficult to get working.  that's exactly what i'd be using the most of.  and lowrider plus nautilus=jerry garcia!  jerry actually had a killer setup almost exclusively for using a mutron III.  it consisted of an on guitar buffered (pre volume knob) effects loop that sent his effects pedals the same volume level no matter where his volume knob was set! 

ive also noticed using a compressor before envelope filters helps control the attack a bit and if you mess with your volume knob a lot you might wanna try using a volume pedal after the envelope filter, or get a jerryified effects loop on your axe!

sirbergersworth

Quote from: claytushaywood on November 19, 2012, 09:54:36 PM
id like to hear some sound clips of this.  I'm sad to hear that the LP down mode is difficult to get working.  that's exactly what i'd be using the most of.  and lowrider plus nautilus=jerry garcia!  jerry actually had a killer setup almost exclusively for using a mutron III.  it consisted of an on guitar buffered (pre volume knob) effects loop that sent his effects pedals the same volume level no matter where his volume knob was set! 

ive also noticed using a compressor before envelope filters helps control the attack a bit and if you mess with your volume knob a lot you might wanna try using a volume pedal after the envelope filter, or get a jerryified effects loop on your axe!

Jerry's volume knob on his guitar was placed after all of his effects and his synths. That explains why he had two trs guitar cables plugged into his guitar.
I also believe his first buffer/ preamp was in his strat (alligator) and I think it was the original and probably the first stratoblaster.
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

spaceboss

Nice work. Maybe even your best yet (I must admit that I am partial to marine fauna).

SB

claytushaywood

Quote from: sirbergersworth on November 20, 2012, 06:05:49 AM
Quote from: claytushaywood on November 19, 2012, 09:54:36 PM

Jerry's volume knob on his guitar was placed after all of his effects and his synths. That explains why he had two trs guitar cables plugged into his guitar.
I also believe his first buffer/ preamp was in his strat (alligator) and I think it was the original and probably the first stratoblaster.

did I say something different?  it was just one trs Y cable that went from the pickups, buffer and  tone controls out the tip to his pedals then back up the other side into a military grade 25k volume pot.  the output to his amp was mono.  yeh alligator had the stratoblaster supposedly set with about 6db of gain.  tiger and the later version of wolf had a different opamp based buffer that had a much lower output impedance as well as unity gain. 

does anyone have sound clips of the nautilus in action?  anyone here use the new less expensive vactrols from small bear in this build?

midwayfair

Quote from: claytushaywood on November 24, 2012, 02:20:27 PManyone here use the new less expensive vactrols from small bear in this build?

Those are what's in mine and in Brian's prototype that he posted.

I keep trying to get time to do a clip, but I kinda need my neighbors out of the house for a few hours and have that line up with my free time ....

claytushaywood

Quote from: midwayfair on November 24, 2012, 03:38:57 PM
Quote from: claytushaywood on November 24, 2012, 02:20:27 PManyone here use the new less expensive vactrols from small bear in this build?

Those are what's in mine and in Brian's prototype that he posted.

I keep trying to get time to do a clip, but I kinda need my neighbors out of the house for a few hours and have that line up with my free time ....

awesome cant wait!