News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thunderpuss whining noise. [solved!]

Started by fish22, November 08, 2012, 02:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish22

I cant believe I'm having issues with such a simple circuit... I'm actually making 2 at the same time. The first one had the whine issue, so I whipped up my other Thunderpuss board and it also has the same issue!
The boost knob does what it is intended to do, but there is a weird loud whine with it. as the boost increases the whine seems to decrease a little. The whine isn't very high pitched; it is almost like a buzz...
I double checked all my component values and they are correct....
I'm guessing it has to the the transistor?  :-\
FYI they are not boxed up, Im testing on my "testing station"
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

madbean

Is everything grounded properly on your testing rig?

Om_Audio

Testing rig is a big antenna without good grounding I think. Mine can be noisy until everything is wired up.
Also using power strip with other things or having other wall warts and such in proximity to your workspace can sometimes cause issues with noise.
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

fish22

My "testing station" is an 1590bb. It has an in, out, and 9v jack with screw terminals on top for in, out, & ground. I just use it to test circuits before I box em. The top has cardboard taped to the top to keep things fromm shorting. I've used it with other builds and have had no issues.

I actually boxed one of the Thunderpuss up before testing and it had the same whine all boxed up.
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

pryde

Could be transistors, not sure. Best to post some close-up photos of the pcb so we can have a look. I have built several of these on vero and the thunderpuss pcb and never had such a noise issue.

icecycle66

When I'm tooling around with pedals, the whining noise is usually coming from my wife.

If you you have one of those you should probably check it out before any more drastic trouble shooting.

jkokura

Quote from: icecycle66 on November 09, 2012, 10:06:02 AM
When I'm tooling around with pedals, the whining noise is usually coming from my wife.

If you you have one of those you should probably check it out before any more drastic trouble shooting.

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAH!

That made me laugh.

Also, I think it's the transistors also.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

studiodunn

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

irmcdermott

haha!

genius.

fish22

haha. no wife.
I'll try replacing the transistors. it just seems odd that two PCBs have the same issue.
maybe I ordered the wrong trannys by accident.
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

oldhousescott

Check that your three electro caps are oriented correctly.

Loztboy

What are you powering the pedal with?
I had the same "problem" with mine, but the problem was a non regulated wall wart PSU.
Mine works great with a regulated PSU.

fish22

caps are oriented correctly.
On my work bench I have a Strymon power supply that comes with their pedals.
My pedal board has the PedalPower II+
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

Om_Audio

Check the voltage from the Strymon. I have an Electra circuit breadboarded right now and the danelectro wall wart puts out like 9.76V which causes noise and squeal with certain diodes. I have a sag knob and dialing it back to 9V makes a huge change sometimes.
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

fish22

Well, it was the Strymon power supply.
Plugged into my PedalPower II+ and its quiet, no whine.
Thanks for all the info!
Hi, my name is Wyatt.