News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking a/b with klon

Started by fuzzfreak, November 29, 2010, 08:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhcp311

Quote from: DougCFL on April 05, 2011, 08:41:57 AM
Just wanted to add a bit on the diodes.  I tried the small bear NOS Ge (they say are 1n34as) and 'real' 1n34as. They sounded very different.  The 'work alike' diodes were way too harsh.  The 'real' 1n34as were much like 1n270s but just a bit more compressed.  I left the 'real' 1n34as in for my next gig.

Good to know. I'm using BAT41's in mine still, but I noticed in another build I used the Small Bear 1n34a's, and I wasn't as happy with them as the ones I bought from Mouser. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I just recieved my parts order from futurelec and the 1n34a's I ordered are marked different too. They aren't the clear glass w/ green strip, they are orange w/ black stripe and say S12 around them. Must be sometype of workalike. Is this similiar to what you recieved?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 11, 2011, 03:26:36 PM
I just recieved my parts order from futurelec and the 1n34a's I ordered are marked different too. They aren't the clear glass w/ green strip, they are orange w/ black stripe and say S12 around them. Must be sometype of workalike. Is this similiar to what you recieved?

Interested in this too. I just ordered a bunch of 1n34a's and 1n60's off of ebay and was wondering what the difference in the different types of packaging is all about.

On another note, I sold a sunking to a guy who owned a real klon at a local LA studio and he said it sounded almost dead on, he said the sunking was just a tad brighter but very, very close. Not sure what version he was playing.

masterlk

Here are the 1n34a "work-a-likes" from Smallbear.

[attachment deleted by admin]

gtr2

I got the 1n34's from futurlec as well.  They don't look like normal 1n34's but I didn't care because they sound pretty good in the sunking.  I prefer them and the bat41's.  The futurlec 1n34's are a little more "open" sounding and the bat41's more compressed.  Those are the two I'm going to use with a toggle in my current sunking build.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gtr2 on April 12, 2011, 04:28:12 AM
I got the 1n34's from futurlec as well.  They don't look like normal 1n34's but I didn't care because they sound pretty good in the sunking.  I prefer them and the bat41's.  The futurlec 1n34's are a little more "open" sounding and the bat41's more compressed.  Those are the two I'm going to use with a toggle in my current sunking build.

cool you just answered my question. Those ones in the picture above from smallbear look sorta like real 1n34a's. i ordered a whole bunch of them so i'm glad to hear they at least sound good.  :)

dbharris

I got the same ones from futurlec.  They are NOT 1n34a, here is a thread at BYOC talking about it http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29809

They are shottky diodes, with about .31 forward voltage.

That being said, if you like them then great go with it.  I now have 100 of them so I hope I like them too...

masterlk

Just for the record...I did NOT like the work-a-likes that I posted the picture of above. They sounded muffled and just not very clear compared to the 1n270 or BAT41's.

jkokura

I got about 50 real 1n34a's off the ebay. Works for me, as I like them very much in the Sunkings I've built. I liked it better than the BAT41's I have, but the 1n60 and the 1n270's I have sound great too. I think Germs work very well for this circuit - actually, most of them for me personally. I think I just like softer clipping personally.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

masterlk

Care to post a link to your fleabay source for the rest of us?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: masterlk on April 12, 2011, 08:37:05 PM
Care to post a link to your fleabay source for the rest of us?

+1  :)

MIM#1

Just starting to populate my sunking pcb. Is the 1N4742 an equivalent of something like a 1N4001?

TGP39

The 1N4742 is a 12 volt Zener diode. The 1n4001 is a rectifier diode. Different animal. Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

ChrisNY

I put together this video when I built my Sunking II and tested out a few diodes. I didn't do the clipping option just one set of diodes. Spoiler: I liked the 1N270 and 1N34A the best. Going to go with the 1N270.

3mm LED (~1.5 Vf)
1N4148 Si (.559 Vf)
1N34A Ge (.265 Vf)
1N5818 Shockley (.131 Vf)
AN306 Ge (.193 Vf)
1N270 Ge (.220 Vf)
Japanese White Ge (.213 Vf)