News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Flossie - Cyber Girl - Leslish

Started by juansolo, December 07, 2012, 08:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

A Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan clone. A muff with a Baxandall tone stack. Very versatile, kicks ass.

This is my old Madbean Pork Barrel v2 Frog Chorus (CE-2 clone) rehoused in a much more sensible manner.

This build is very suseptable to clock noise if you build it like I did the first time. Indeed bean's v3 board had board mounted pots. I've done the next best thing here with the earlier board.

This started as a conversation in the pub between Cleggy and me after we'd built the Josh's Multiplex. It's stretchy tape circuit we decided could be used to ramp up and down a pair of ROG Tri-Vibes with a bit of fettling and we thought a DIY leslie effect could actually work. Which is really the main thing that's stopped anyone doing this in the past.

That actually turned out to be the easy bit. The splitting of the signal into high and low frequencies so they can run at slightly different speeds and get that cool phasey sound ended up being far more complicated than we thought we could get away with.

We had it working within the week I think, but it's taken us ages to get it boxed up. The build thread is here. Haberdasher etched us the dual Tri-Vibe board.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

eldanko

All that stuff inside... and one knob outside.  It's like a trojan horse full of awesome.  LOVE IT.   ;D
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

midwayfair

OMG the Leslish emerges!

Just awesome, and the single knob ... so good. Seriously, if you guys get the chance to film a demo, I'd love to hear it.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

juansolo

Knob just sets the speed. Left stomp switches between low and high speeds. We twiddled with Josh's ramp circuit until it span up and down in a Leslie-ish manner. High frequency circuit runs faster than low as it should. I have a RotoSim so we used that as a kind of benchmark of the the ramp and relative speeds. Not to mention Cleggy was anal enough to read up on Leslies and the speed offsets so we sat there with a stopwatch and counted the pulses, adjusting resistors until it was about right ;)

The low frequency is set to vibrato only, the high is switchable between swirl and phase. One way is more leslie, but I liked the trippy extra phasiness of the phase setting so kept that.

Will try and do something recording wise, though this might be scooting off temporarily.

nzCdog

Juansolo...

You are like awesome factory... churning out awesome :-* 8)

bigrigg

juansolo

hammerheadmusicman

I need. Leslish in my life (that's a weird sounded sentence!)
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

bigmufffuzzwizz

That's a really great sounding pedal you got there!
Is that a personal layout for the loaghtan fuzz? Not seeing one around.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Parra

that leslish sounds great, the last pedal i've built was the tri vibe and I really like all the sounds coming out of it. I've tought about doing a speed ramp up and down but due to my lazyness  8) i've just stuck a momentary switch shorting the speed pot in there, but when i have some time maybe i'll tweek it...

juansolo

The Manx layout isn't one of mine, I found it on FSB here

angrykoko

your builds always blow me away.

Amazing graphics, the green girl on black I like especially well.  If I had any patients at all for waiting for stuff to dry I'd give your technique a try (oh and if I had any art skills what so ever.. that might help too).

Great looking stuff as always.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

studiodunn

Man, those are amazing looking! So slick inside and out.