News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Going Shopping!

Started by AllenM, November 12, 2012, 06:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenM

Guys,
Stopping by a mom and pop electronics store (there are still some in business) tomorrow while I am out on a sales call. They have a whole isle filled with bins of Transistors and such. I am still learning about this stuff so if there are any items I should look for in case they have some hidden gems let me know. I am thinking mostly about transistors and other parts used for clipping on ODs and stuff like that. I can also check for ICs while I am there.

AllenM

midwayfair

Just me, but I'd look for the following:

Transistors
"dot" (round plastic case) 2N3565
Any germanium, but preferable TI or RCA.
NOS BC10X in the A ranges.

Diodes
Any germanium diodes, but preferably 1N270 (if less than 60c each) and 1N34A (if less than 50c).
MA856 ... good luck!

ICs
Obviously any Panasonic BBD chips.
CA3080 is probably the only other valuable thing really worth looking out for, but I doubt they'd carry them.

Honestly, though, just grab a smattering of stuff. The chances of them having a bunch of stuff useful to pedal builders is not great. Actual brick and mortar electronics stores tend to cater to radio and computer guys, I think, more than audio.

pickdropper

I always like finding vintage knobs.  Some of those old shops have bins of them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

AllenM

I can say that this shop has been in business for a long time and they mostly cater to DiY type folks more than PC builders. For example a couple of years ago I found a box full of HotPotzIIs on the shelf and got them for $1.25 each. I did like you recommended a few years back and grabbed random transistors even though I had no idea what they were for.. here are some of the numbers I have..

PN100A, PN2369, 2n5088, 2n5089, 2n3391, 2n4401, 2n3394, 2n3392, 2n3440, 2n1373, 2n4403, 2n3393, 2n2369, 2n3565 and IRF510 for example.. now I have no idea if they are of any use at this point but that was what I grabbed. I know it may be a long shot but this inventory looks like it has been here for some time and they don't sell on line. I know it has been a family owned and operated business and I know they buy closeouts from other business and sell the stuff cheap. So maybe there is a chance there is a box or two of some highly prized parts just sitting there.. :)

I know I have seen some boxes labeled germanium but I didn't know if they would be usable for pedals or meant for other stuff. I will take the numbers listed so far just to see if any match up.

Maybe I can find a way to takes pics or a quick movie with my phone of the box labels with the part numbers and then the forum can pick out any possible gems? I will see how that works out.

Thanks for the help!

AllenM

BraindeadAudio

Buy alll of the SE4010 gold pin transistors they have. Ill pay 2$ a piece for them.

culturejam

Buy a bunch of tropical fish caps...so you can sell them to the audiophile mojo fuzz guys.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

PimpMyTone

Normally that type of store sells germanium transistors for less  than 1 $ each . Im sure you can find vintage caps and carbon comp resistors too . Check also trimpots, toggle switch, rotary switch , etc .

Simon

PimpMyTone

Quote from: BraindeadAudio on November 12, 2012, 08:43:28 PM
Buy alll of the SE4010 gold pin transistors they have. Ill pay 2$ a piece for them.

Will you pay 2 $ for se4002 ?  same datasheet ... and maybe i can sell a couple 
Simon

BraindeadAudio

I have a fuzz pedal I made using those that I am in love with I am doing a run of.  I need a bunch to match the HFE and hand pick em to matched ranges.    Are they gold pin?

PimpMyTone

Quote from: BraindeadAudio on November 13, 2012, 12:33:27 AM
I have a fuzz pedal I made using those that I am in love with I am doing a run of.  I need a bunch to match the HFE and hand pick em to matched ranges.    Are they gold pin?

Yep , gold pin made by fairchild .
Simon