News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mysterioso mods?

Started by pandadandan, March 21, 2010, 11:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandadandan

I noticed from Madbean's build of the Mysterioso Jr that C4 had been moved to a switch allowing it to be removed from the circuit.  I assume from the labeling that it affects the midrange, but what exactly does it do?

Also, are there any mods to allow more bass content through?

madbean

I put c4 on a switch so that I could use only one trim pot instead of two. Actually, my trimpot was changed to an external pot (the 'boost'). So, the boost knob adds more gain to the effect, and when you switch the cap in it goes from flat boost to boosting the midrange. To me, it was about getting the most versatility from the pedal and putting that control on the outside rather than inside.

Overall, the effect is very mid range, with or without the boost. One thing you can try is altering the value of the PCL cap. That stands for 'presence limiting capacitor' according to the Blackstone manual. You can try increasing it up to 1n for guitar, and probably 10n if you want to try it on bass. That should give you a fuller range if that's what you want. You could also try changing C6 to 100n, although I don't think it will have as dramatic of an effect as changing the PCL.

pandadandan

Quote from: madbean on March 21, 2010, 11:22:03 PM
I put c4 on a switch so that I could use only one trim pot instead of two. Actually, my trimpot was changed to an external pot (the 'boost'). So, the boost knob adds more gain to the effect, and when you switch the cap in it goes from flat boost to boosting the midrange. To me, it was about getting the most versatility from the pedal and putting that control on the outside rather than inside.

Overall, the effect is very mid range, with or without the boost. One thing you can try is altering the value of the PCL cap. That stands for 'presence limiting capacitor' according to the Blackstone manual. You can try increasing it up to 1n for guitar, and probably 10n if you want to try it on bass. That should give you a fuller range if that's what you want. You could also try changing C6 to 100n, although I don't think it will have as dramatic of an effect as changing the PCL.

Nice!  Thanks for the info.

I think I'll hook the PCL up to a switch so I can have a couple of options. 
Time to head off to the hardware store for some sandpaper.  Hopefully I'll have it boxed up by tonight!

Bucksears

Which one is the PCL?
C3 (220pF?)

madbean

Bucksears