News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thunderpuss (AP)

Started by alanp, November 16, 2012, 04:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

This was the only thing I had all the parts for today.

Why Meow? Because it's a Madbean Thunderpuss, based on Jack Orman's Mosfet Boost. Nice kitty...

Good for 3dB to 35dB of fairly transparent boost. Apparently. I only have a MG15 at the flat at the moment.

I'm actually glad that I only had parts for this -- it was a valuable learning experience. I now know to leave the LED power wire longer than I think I need (a lot longer), and that doing wires to the board is still a blimmin' nuisance.

Small potatoes to most here, but I think I'm glad my first 1590A was this, and not a Smoothie or something!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Looks good, Alan.  1590As are a fun challenge.  I bet you end up doing more of them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Om_Audio

Nice job mang. Love that label- how did you get the letters to come out quirky like that? I have one of these to build but I am thinking I might try to pair it with some other build that could benefit from being driven with a louder input.
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

alanp

Om, my Dymo labeller has had a tough life. I've pulled it to pieces and reassembled it to get it going, and the roll had to be replaced today. That did not go well.

Pickdropper, I've got a Runt, Afterlife, CD, Smoothie, and a Hipster waiting on parts at the moment ;D only thing I don't have on order for them is the hens teeth 1/8W resistors.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Om_Audio

Quote from: alanp on November 16, 2012, 07:30:34 PM
Om, my Dymo labeller has had a tough life. I've pulled it to pieces and reassembled it to get it going, and the roll had to be replaced today. That did not go well.

hah, well don't try to fix it now- I think it is working great!
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on November 16, 2012, 07:30:34 PM

Pickdropper, I've got a Runt, Afterlife, CD, Smoothie, and a Hipster waiting on parts at the moment ;D only thing I don't have on order for them is the hens teeth 1/8W resistors.

Rej pointed me towards a seller on eBay that has a nice 1/8w metal film resistor kit for $25.  I've been very pleased with the quality.  If you are intersted, I could look back for a link.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

hoodoo

Hi mate, in regards to the 1\8 watt resistors, Rej/Grindcustoms had a post here or at byoc that had an ebay seller that he had used. I placed an order with them, fast delievery and you get almost 5000 for just over $20, enough for a few 1590a's i think. ;) I can't recall the name but i'm sure if you looked you could find the post.
All the best, Matt.

nzCdog

Nice one Alan!  Very tidy guts 8)

DutchMF

Very nice man! This and the Porkbarrel are my two favorite MB pedals, they are on my board to stay!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

alanp

Didn't test it before I boxed it, so naturally it's throwing up problems. It's dragging the +9V adaptor down to 2V or so.

Why is it that a Lowrider, a Chunk, a trem, a looper, all work, first pop, but a handful of resistors and a single jfet are stubborn little sods?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

LaceSensor

Quote from: alanp on November 19, 2012, 01:08:11 AM
Didn't test it before I boxed it, so naturally it's throwing up problems. It's dragging the +9V adaptor down to 2V or so.

Why is it that a Lowrider, a Chunk, a trem, a looper, all work, first pop, but a handful of resistors and a single jfet are stubborn little sods?

Always the simple ones
I've built all manner of what I consider hard level builds, yet a klone still alludes me due to a power issue...

alanp

Dredge, but just to let you all know... wound up being the switch. I don't know how, I don't know why, but tapping the indicator LED made it work again.

Wound up replacing the Thunderpuss board with a Grind Customs SuperFET (same bones to it) in the debugging process, after testing the GC board first.

This is excellent through a 5e3 amp through a G12M, it'll go from ROAWR to edgy clean just by the pressure on your fingertips.
- Terry Pratchett
My website