News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

General wiring diagrams

Started by madbean, December 01, 2010, 08:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Yes, led and led resistor can be left iff the board with #3. There are some boards that don't have either and LED or the accompanying resistor in the board, use #3 if this I the case and you want an LED indicator.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aiur55

Just to confirm, is the stereo jack the input?

Also, if I were to leave out the 9v battery harness, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks!

irmcdermott

If you don't plan on using a battery, than you can use a mono jack at the input. If you already have the stereo jack, just leave the ring disconnected and wire it up like normal.

igore42

What is the purpose of grounding the input when bypassed?  I've noticed other 3PDT wiring diagrams that don't do this so I was wondering the difference?

Thanks,

Doug

Background Noise

Hate to be dense, but what is done with the sleeve connection on J1 which is output, correct?

Is it left open?

jkokura

Quote from: igore42 on March 03, 2011, 11:47:15 AM
What is the purpose of grounding the input when bypassed?  I've noticed other 3PDT wiring diagrams that don't do this so I was wondering the difference?

Thanks,

Doug

Missed this one, sorry. Here's the late info.

Grounding the PCB's input while in bypass is helpful for draining current from some of the electrolytic capacitors which store electricity. This leads to two things (as far as I know) - prolonged life for the caps, and less or no popping when turning the circuit back on.

Quote from: Background Noise on March 21, 2011, 09:30:06 AM
Hate to be dense, but what is done with the sleeve connection on J1 which is output, correct?

Is it left open?

You're not dense, you just haven't learned yet! No worries!

Often we all use the open switchcraft jacks. Many jacks actually connect to ground through the enclosure because it's metal. That means that technically you only have to connect one of the jack's ground lugs (sleeve) to the PCB ground. I do this all the time. However, remember that if you remove the circuit from the enclosure, you now need to find a way to ground that jack.

I try hard to connect all ground to the PCB. For example, if there are extra 'holes' for the ground, I will use one for the switch, one for the power jack, and then one for either jack. That way, I only need to run one wire to each lug. Many problems while wiring occur because you're trying to fit too many wires onto a single lug which isn't meant to handle more than one wire, like Power jacks. That's also why i like having the CLR and a hole for the LED on my board, that way I don't have to solder two wires to the power jack.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jkokura on March 21, 2011, 09:54:58 AM
Grounding the PCB's input while in bypass is helpful for draining current from some of the electrolytic capacitors which store electricity. This leads to two things (as far as I know) - prolonged life for the caps, and less or no popping when turning the circuit back on.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the knowledge. :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

UncleDave

Hey there, I'm working on my first project and got to the 3pdt switch. I think I understand the wiring alright but I'm just not sure which way is up on this switch according to the way the diagram. Is it basically reversable?

sorry for the noom question.

jkokura

Switches can be reversable, but only up and down. You can turn a switch 180 degrees, but not 90 degrees.

The holes in the lugs need to be seen through top to bottom. That means that all the holes go up and down. Does that help?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

djroge1

Quote from: jkokura on March 27, 2011, 05:12:48 PM
Switches can be reversable, but only up and down. You can turn a switch 180 degrees, but not 90 degrees.

The holes in the lugs need to be seen through top to bottom. That means that all the holes go up and down. Does that help?

Jacob

I "think" I get what you mean but not sure. I understand the "You can turn a switch 180 degrees, but not 90 degrees."

But the holes need to be seen through top to bottom? Are you saying that the holes in the switch need to face the top/bottom of box? Thus the holes do NOT face towards the input/output jacks?

jkokura

JMK PCBs *New Website*

djroge1

Thanks.

Is there a smiley with a light bulb going off over a head? 

madbean

Here is a new wiring diagram I put together. I will be referring to this one in future documentation in the hopes of eliminating the redundant diagrams in each project.

[attachment deleted by admin]

irmcdermott

Quote from: madbean on April 03, 2011, 05:28:20 PM
Here is a new wiring diagram I put together. I will be referring to this one in future documentation in the hopes of eliminating the redundant diagrams in each project.

looks awesome!

petesz

That looks fantastic, will make it heaps easier for anyone starting out for sure (and ofcourse ill be printing it and sticking it on my bench ;)).